Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sometimes the sewing machine gods smile (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sometimes-sewing-machine-gods-smile-t289651.html)

kch1983 07-14-2017 12:08 PM

Sometimes the sewing machine gods smile

8 Attachment(s)
Look at what arrived at my house today.

I bought it knowing the case didn't have a top but I guess I was naive to think the seller would put it in a box before he shipped it! Seeing the Canada Post warning "We regret that your mail item is damaged. It arrived in this condition in the mail stream." didn't make my heart sing with joy. Not to mention the black garbage bag outer packaging.

Despite everything, I'm now the proud owner of a wonderfully filthy, rusty Frister Rossmann, high arm TS variant 4 or 5 with bronze lilies decals . The serial number puts it between 1907 and 1914. The decals are in amazingly pristine condition. The attachments were just tossed in but they didn't seem to cause any damage to themselves or the machine. The bobbin winder still had a filled bobbin stuck in it!

The hand wheel turns and the feed dogs move but the screw to remove the throat plate is partially stripped and stuck fast, as are bobbin slide plates. They are soaking in sewing machine oil at the moment. Any advice/help with this would be appreciated. Evapo Rust is ordered (my local Canadian Tire no longer carries it) and will be delivered on Monday.

I was so happy to get this machine and I hope to give it another lifetime to sew.

Glenn 07-14-2017 01:18 PM

I have this machine and it is the best machine I have and I have 60 +. Easy to use and not particular about thread. I have a manual if you need a copy of it. German machines are really engineered well.

Glenn 07-14-2017 01:22 PM

Here is the pic of mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]576517[/ATTACH]

QuiltingVagabond 07-14-2017 02:06 PM

That has to be the worst packing job I have ever seen - I wonder why the post office accepted it from the sender like that?

kch1983 07-14-2017 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7863930)
Here is the pic of mine.[ATTACH=CONFIG]576517[/ATTACH]

I'd love a copy of the manual, Glenn, thanks. Unfortunately I can't access the photo.

kch1983 07-14-2017 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 7863959)
That has to be the worst packing job I have ever seen - I wonder why the post office accepted it from the sender like that?

I was shocked, too, Kathy. I thought the garbage bag was a nice touch. It made it over here from England like that as well. Absolutely amazing!

Pudge 07-14-2017 02:50 PM

I hope you will do a Before and After posting once You've cleaned it up. I think it will be a beauty.

Glenn 07-14-2017 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576525[/ATTACH]This mine can you see it now?

tscweaves 07-14-2017 05:06 PM

Wow, that packaging was dreadful. Your heart must have sank to your toes when that came to you. I am amazed that it survived the trip. You are right, the trash bag was a nice touch:-)

That looks like it will be a beauty after you get it all cleaned up. The decals look wonderful.

Glenn - that is a beauty of a machine. Now something like these two might make me break my moratorium on any more machines! LOL

pocoellie 07-14-2017 06:08 PM

Glenn, that is an absolutely gorgeous machine.

kch1983- I'm amazed that the machine survived, and it will be a beautiful machine once you have it cleaned up.