Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sticking-my-toe-waters-vintage-sewing-machines-t191776.html)

quiltingweb 07-02-2012 04:51 AM

My mother-in-law does beautiful embroidery work and I thought, if I found a machine like hers, I could do the same thing...nope. I haven't got the patience. I will leave it to her. You'd think we could work together, she could do the embroidery and I could do the quilting, but I think she feels about my quilting the way I feel about the embroidery, it's just not her thing. My newest machine is my Nolting...I think it's a Fun Quilter...long-arm on the big frame. It's in the basement...I think it might be my place to escape from the heat today! Stay cool quilting friends!

quiltingweb 07-04-2012 06:18 PM

Brought in my "new" Necchi today and sat in the cool basement and started to learn all about it. It is a nifty machine. Sews so smoothly. I tried out some of the cams, gadgets. It's so COOL!

quiltingweb 07-08-2012 02:10 PM

Today I realized a couple of things. First, just because you can UN-screw something, doesn't mean you should. I was going to clean up my treadle and started by shining up some gunky spots and decided to undo the stitch length do-dad. Um, that little part INSIDE the machine is really hard to reach and this brings me to the second thing I learned. Sewing machines get really DIRTY inside. So, it's back together again, but I am re-thinking my idea to just clean it from the outside. Maybe I really should soak it in de-gunker after all....

OK, I learned something else. I can't wait to piece a quilt with it. I really do love treadling that machine...but maybe I'll make sure it's clean first.

Grannyh67 07-08-2012 05:51 PM

Better be careful dipping the toe, I did and now I'm up to my chin, lol....Joy

quiltingweb 07-08-2012 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grannyh67 (Post 5349420)
Better be careful dipping the toe, I did and now I'm up to my chin, lol....Joy

I'm getting addicted. Someone on Craigs List today offered a New Home treadle for free. How am I supposed to pass that up? My 10 year old was out in the garage with me while I was working on another machine (yes, I know) and she was sewing on my "old" treadle machine (had it for about a month now) and she was having a great time. When I asked if she wanted to go along tomorrow to pick up another treadle machine, I thought she would roll her eyes at me, she cheered. She loves the treadle machine! Can't wait to see it. It looks newer than my Minnehaha, or at least the cabinet looks newer. I think the investigating is just as fun as sewing!

quiltingweb 07-10-2012 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]347955[/ATTACH]It's getting cleaned up, the treadle runs very smoothly, the hand-wheel, when disengaged, runs smoothly, but something seems to be locked up. The needle won't go up and down. Most other things that are supposed to move, make a slight movement when I move the hand wheel...slightly, but the gear on the end of the shaft that comes down from the top and meets with another gear that goes across the bottom does not. Not a bit of play there. So, it seems to me, in my non-expert opinion, that something between that gear and the bobbin casing is locked up.

Further investigation is necessary. Here's a question...can I shoot some W-D 40 in there or is that a lubricant only zone? Or can I WD-40 first to get it moving then lube it?

nanna-up-north 07-10-2012 04:45 AM

I wouldn't WD-40 it. I've heard that when it dries, it will gunk up things. Someone else on here will give you some expert advise I think.

quiltingweb 07-10-2012 07:25 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'll wait and see if anyone has ideas for me. Besides, I have quilting to do that NEEDS to be done.

quiltingweb 07-11-2012 04:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348229[/ATTACH]My 10 year old DD wanted to sew last night while I was working on the "new"machine. We went to the stash, she picked out some fabrics and we cut them out. Big 12 inch squares. She was bugging her sisters and I needed to find her something to do. She sat down at this machine and she sewed all of the squares together. Random order, 5 long strips then sewed the strips together. Today, she has her first quilt top! She's never sewn anything but for practice before. She is so proud...now she wants me to quilt it. Get in line honey!

quiltingweb 07-11-2012 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]348230[/ATTACH]Here she is!