Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   'Stored' machines, oiling or not, how often to run? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/stored-machines-oiling-not-how-often-run-t269360.html)

singerguy 08-31-2015 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 (Post 7300865)

It's been suggested to clean, but not oil, a machine that is not going to be used for a while to prevent the oil from drying out and forming an unmovable mass. Is this what most people do?

This ARTICLE might help.

and THIS too .

SteveH 08-31-2015 12:01 PM

I would consider carefully whether you want to use a piece of fabric under the presser foot. Fabric can act as a moisture collector. I have purchased more than one OLD machine with fabric under the presser foot that the fabric was bonded by rust to the needle plate. I also find needles that were left in fabric where the contact points are rusty, so again. I would not recommend the fabric under the foot (or wrapped around the machine for the same reason)

miriam 08-31-2015 06:19 PM

I frequently find old machines that have been 'stored' The worst ones are the machines that are clean and no oil. No oil can lead to rust. I would rather clean off old dried oil than rust. Just my 2 cents

singerguy 09-01-2015 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7302824)
I would consider carefully whether you want to use a piece of fabric under the presser foot. Fabric can act as a moisture collector. I have purchased more than one OLD machine with fabric under the presser foot that the fabric was bonded by rust to the needle plate. I also find needles that were left in fabric where the contact points are rusty, so again. I would not recommend the fabric under the foot (or wrapped around the machine for the same reason)

would be ok if we follow the last instruction: (temperature controlled environment will prevent rusting).

Place Your Machine In Storage If possible store your machine in a temperature controlled environment. Outside storage in a shed or garage is unacceptable. Extreme temperature changes will produce condensation, which will rust your machine. The ideal storage area would be in a closet inside your home. Place your machine where nothing will fall on it or bump into it.

SteveH 09-01-2015 01:17 PM

ok, not trying to get into a argument here, and I agree that indoors is the way to store a machine, but there is moisture in the air at all times. Homes are sometimes even worse than outdoors with central heat and air etc.

Most of the machine I referenced that had rusted fabric were stored indoors.

You have the freedom to do as you will, but I am trying to give advice to folks who may not have all of the knowledge and or experience to make a call like that. Not everyone has dealt with a couple hundred antique sewing machines.

OurWorkbench 09-03-2015 05:14 PM

I always push to bring machines in the house. While humidity can be 60 percent indoors or out, a machine at 35 degrees attracts moisture like a magnet.

In Colorado it's common for temperatures to go above and below freezing in the same day. I worry about condensed water seeping into the machine and re-freezing, cracking something.

John