Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Stripping a machine for clean up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/stripping-machine-clean-up-t133115.html)

Ramona Byrd 06-25-2011 02:38 PM

I have been going through a lot of papers, decluttering.

I found one that I had printed out in 2005, from one of the DIY internet sites. It was about stripping pieces of antiques.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Quote==Don't you dare strip that table, no matter how grimy and gunked-up it may look. collectors prize antiques with the original finish!! Reveal the treasure hiding underneath with this Free FORMULA FOR FURNITURE JIKCE.

1 part white vinegar
1 part boiled linseed oil (Don't use raw)
1 part turpentine (from your paint or hardware store)

Combine all 3 ingredients in a jar with a tight lid and shake like crazy. Then rub it into the furniture with a piece of 0000-grade steel wool. Wipe off with soft cloth. Years of grime melt away, leaving you with a smooth, beautiful surface.

I don't remember using this, I think it was about the time my husband had another stroke so I stuck all my papers in a file drawer and forgot them till now.

spartan quilter 06-25-2011 07:49 PM

That is just too much coincidence. One of my co-workers just used that very solution, to clean a piece of furniture that she had, and she said it was the best thing ever. I have the stuff ready, just haven't found the time to do it. Or the DRY-WARM day so I can be outside. Thanks for posting it.

Painiacs 06-25-2011 08:25 PM

Thanks!

laalaaquilter 06-26-2011 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by spartan quilter
That is just too much coincidence. One of my co-workers just used that very solution, to clean a piece of furniture that she had, and she said it was the best thing ever. I have the stuff ready, just haven't found the time to do it. Or the DRY-WARM day so I can be outside. Thanks for posting it.

ROFLMBO!!! I had to look at your location to figure out what the heck you were talking about 'dry-warm day'. Being in GA we've have a lot of 'dry-warm' days already (above average heat for June, with a cooler than average summer predicted for later)

:-P

jhoward 06-26-2011 03:48 AM

That combo can be used to clean kitchen cupboards also.

Anne T 06-26-2011 05:59 AM

Thanks.:)

Sandra-P 06-26-2011 06:44 AM

Thank you for posting.

Owllady 06-26-2011 07:02 AM

Thanks for the formula. I had just been thinking of looking for it to use on my bedroom furniture that we have had for 50 years. It is always nice to find things on here and not have to search all over the place. Fate works in mysterious ways. Love this board.

birdlady 06-26-2011 08:24 AM

Well of all the places to be in my home town. I did not know of this solution before but will try it and see of it will work on my kitchen cabinets.

tlpa 06-26-2011 08:43 AM

Do you buy the linseed oil, or do you boil it?
Can you boil oil without it flaming?