Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Stuck-Up Rust Bucket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/stuck-up-rust-bucket-t253118.html)

crocee 09-05-2014 01:15 PM

Stuck-Up Rust Bucket

2 Attachment(s)
I decided to make a thread on this machine all by its self in order to help myself and others who have machine heads in this condition. Dial-up alert- This will be pic heavy to contain a lot of useful information.
Introducing my Stuck-Up Rust Bucket, These pics were taken in December when I got the machine

Rodney 09-05-2014 01:23 PM

It's all dirty and covered with rust. The decals are completely silvered where there's anything left of them at all. I love it! Your 27 has one feature I wish mine did: The bobbin winder on yours runs off the wheel. Mine are treadle machines and run off the belt.

I will be watching this with interest. The White Rotary Cari gave me yesterday is in about the same condition but with the added benefit of parts missing too.
Rodney

crocee 09-05-2014 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Over 8 months of oiling, soaking with PB Blaster and heat, its still stuck. A good friend suggested I go a step further and start loosening or removing screws to see if it was the main shaft or the needle bar or both stuck. I also was asked to oil and sorta brush away any rust with a brass brush. I'll post the instructions I was give in a bit. Needless to say its still stuck. I'm wondering If I need to take the presser bar and needle bar out. The presser bar moves freely and the needle bar moves if I tap it but it really has nothing holding it in. I will have to reset the timing and have the manual to do so.

crocee 09-05-2014 01:39 PM

The serial number of G5751388 shows to be a 66. The 2 screws holding the needle bar in have been removed and its not quite so dirty. Its also got the odd assortment of pill bug skeletons and spider egg cases inside the pillar and the arm. This is not including the lumpy bits of rust.

miriam 09-05-2014 02:05 PM

A 66 would have a round bobbin. That looks like a 27 with a long bobbin.

I don't think you could do any harm by trying to get it to work. In the end you would still have a few nice parts if you lose.

Did you oil way back behind the round thing under the #4 arrow? Some times it isn't the needle bar that is stuck - it is other parts and just one little place can freeze things up. Some of what you see is likely dried up oil. Shoot a little Kroil on the needle bar and the parts beyond/controlling it. Normally I wouldn't freely shoot up a machine but you have nothing to lose on that one. After you use something like Kroil you will need to clean that off and oil it.

crocee 09-05-2014 02:12 PM

It does have the long bobbin so a 27 it is. Dang now I still gotta find a 66 for the cabinet.

Cari-in-Oly 09-05-2014 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by crocee (Post 6875991)
The serial number of G5751388 shows to be a 66. The 2 screws holding the needle bar in have been removed and its not quite so dirty. Its also got the odd assortment of pill bug skeletons and spider egg cases inside the pillar and the arm. This is not including the lumpy bits of rust.

I think you missed a number. It's a 127, allotment date 9-20-1917.

Cari

miriam 09-05-2014 02:21 PM

The 127 should be a 3/4 size machine. HE HE HE - we are all itching to get that machine working now aren't we...

crocee 09-05-2014 02:23 PM

That's all the numbers there is. I'm going to get my neighbor to come over and help me take a magnified macro shot.

How long is the bed on a 3/4 and how wide?

miriam 09-05-2014 02:26 PM

12 x 6 1/2