Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sunday find: another Bernie! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sunday-find-another-bernie-t229947.html)

profannie 09-11-2013 08:16 AM

Sunday find: another Bernie!

2 Attachment(s)
My husband was out for the day with the kids; I was working on the computer. The Kijiji (local CL) window was open (as usual); I clicked on it because I was bored and wanted a little distraction. The first ad was saying something like: "Old sewing machine Bernina 730 for sale with cabinet. 75$" Very laconic. I couldn't stop my hand to take the phone and call right away. The lady seems surprised to get a phone call a few minutes after posting her ad. She told me the sewing machine was in good working condition, and coming with several feets. Ok, this was becoming very interesting. She was the unique owner of the machine, bought when she was newly wed. She wasn't interested in sewing anymore, and she was moving, so she want to get rid of it. We arrange a meeting in the afternoon. The drawers of the cabinet were full of nice notions (elastic, buttons, thread, and a rotary cutter!) I had to drop the cabinet on a thrift store on my way back, because I really don't have room for it. But anyway it was in a kind of dark presswood very popular in the 60'; not my style at all. I just clean the dust with a soapy rag, oiled and lubricated it, and it's running great. It is a knee operated model; I have never tried it before, but I love it! No foot pedal cord for the kids to mess with!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435316[/ATTACH]
It's a 1965 lady, from the serial number.
Soooooo... I know have a 707, a 730 and a 831. For sure, now that I have the 730, I will find a good home for the 707. But I'm tempted to keep both the 730 and the 831. Here a pics of the two sisters! Aren't them nice?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]435319[/ATTACH]
I don't "need" the 730 but I like it ;) How do you manage to own several machine that you like? For me, just looking at it is not the point. I like to use it. Do you have all your beauties set up in the house? Are you "rotating" them to use them on a regular basis? Curious to know!

mighty 09-11-2013 08:31 AM

Great machines. No all my babies are not set up, I just love having them. I guess I should rotate them!!!

bearisgray 09-11-2013 08:33 AM

You lucky duck!

Tartan 09-11-2013 08:50 AM

Wow, what a bargain!

Macybaby 09-11-2013 08:50 AM

Love it! DH has an orange 830 and I'd love to find a green 730 to go with it.

DH and I have a "rule" that all the machines we keep are functional. I do plan on using them occasionally to make sure they all stay in working condition - not sure how that is going to work out though. . .

lovelyl 09-12-2013 04:56 AM

I don't have space to keep all of my machines set up, but wish I did. I keep my Singer 15-91 set up for FMQ'ing, my modern Janome set up for appliqué and one of my FW's for piecing (I rotate between my 2 FWs). I just purchased a beautiful 301 and plan to put her in the cabinet that currently has a 101. The 101 needs to be rewired, but I have no space for her, so I will probably sell her and my Singer 328. Just out of room. Can't even leave my serger set up. My treadle has to reside in the great room.
i like to use all of my machines and not just let them sit around. If I were rich, I would put an extra room on the house and display/use them all!
if I were you, I would definitely keep both the 730 and the 831. They are both gorgeous!

Cecilia S. 09-12-2013 05:17 AM

Ooooh, profannie. Nice.

Apparently the 730 Bernina has a special mechanism (patented) that makes their satin stitch and buttonhole business the very best ever in the whole wide world.

I have a 730 which I have to fix and get up and running.

SewExtremeSeams 09-12-2013 05:26 AM

Your Berninas are beautiful.

nanna-up-north 09-12-2013 05:28 AM

Congrats on your super find....

As to the question about using them or looking at them. I now have 10-12 machines. I'm working through them, getting them up and running. I plan to use them, will rotate them at my winter home. We're at the summer cabin right now and I have 2 up here..... both are used a lot.

w1613s 09-12-2013 06:33 AM

I have been trying to figure out how to say that all of my modest number of machines are up in my sewing room but I have a hard time using all of them. Each of them is very different than the others and does what it does a very different way. I seem to be too stupid to move between them easily. Lots of manual reading. So, I pet them all and talk to all of them but am momentarily using the Bernina 1630. It used to belong to my best friend who died in January. Maybe it's one of a quilter's forms of mourning and not my stupids after all.

Pat