Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sweet score! Another Singer Red Eye (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sweet-score-another-singer-red-eye-t182485.html)

Whigrose 03-11-2012 06:06 PM

Sweet score! Another Singer Red Eye

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
Just want to share with you today's trade and my excitment.

This sweet little machine was posted on CL for little (very little) money. The original warranty, slide plate, and some attachments are in one of the cabinet drawers. The warranty is dated 1925.

She had been sitting in a little outshed. Her bobbin area was taped over (one assumes to keep the bobbin from running from becoming lost). Story has it she was rescued from the dump by the father of the seller.

Cabinet is in rough shape and still in our vehicle. We had removed the machine from the cabinet for traveling, therefore she came into the house when we were unloading stuffs.

With the exception of a couple of areas along the front edge, she is in fabulous condition.

Originally I had thought I would do the 'Muv-style' cleaning on her and turn her around, hopefully to a local on this QB, however I have decided to keep her and turn her into a handcrank. DH is studying up on how to construct a box for her.

You should know that the pics you are seeing is how she looked when we bought her. I have 'cleaned' her up but truly all that entailed was oiling, cleaning bobbin area and polishing her metals. She is the cleanest machine I have yet to bring home.

Enjoy.

best,
d

grayhare 03-11-2012 06:26 PM

Wow, The decals are in very nice condition! She looks very clean, enjoy her.

J Miller 03-11-2012 06:38 PM

Oh, nice. Not sure I'd turn it into a hand cranker though. I kinda like my 66 treadles.

Joe

Whigrose 03-11-2012 06:44 PM

As do I, Joe. I already have a gorgeous 66-1 treadle. And her stitches can't be beat- at least in my book.

Is there any other reason not to turn her into a handcrank?

best,
d

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5051843)
Oh, nice. Not sure I'd turn it into a hand cranker though. I kinda like my 66 treadles.

Joe

Charlee 03-11-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Whigrose (Post 5051854)
As do I, Joe. I already have a gorgeous 66-1 treadle. And her stitches can't be beat- at least in my book.

Is there any other reason not to turn her into a handcrank?

best,
d

There's no reason not to crank her if that's what you want to do! :) It's a simple thing to put her back into the treadle if you decide you want to! :)

Pretty girl! :)

Nanamoms 03-12-2012 12:26 AM

Very, very pretty girl!

Painiacs 03-12-2012 02:15 AM

I love her! She's a beauty!!

chickadeee55 03-12-2012 02:40 AM

Very nice.

Caroline S 03-12-2012 05:13 AM

Very nice machine. I'd keep her too. I agree with Charlee, make her versatile hand crank and treadle machine.

Whigrose 03-12-2012 05:49 AM

I was just wondering if particular models/makes are better for handcrankers? I do know the 66 is an awesome machine for treadling but don't know if there was a reason for not making her a handcrank.

Sometimes when a comment is made an explanation would be good backup - in this case, about why a 66 shouldn't be used as a handcranker. I'm fairly sure they was no intent to spank but the lack of explaining why NOT to turn her into a crank would have been useful. Experience is the best teacher.

If it really is just a matter of preference - treadle vs crank - state it so.

She's a beauty of a machine. I know a QB member in Canada is searching for a Red Eye but it would take one heck of a leap-frogging to get the machine to her.

best,
d