Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Table/cabinet interchangeability??? generic Singer to Pfaff 360 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/table-cabinet-interchangeability-generic-singer-pfaff-360-a-t267854.html)

ChattyKathy 07-22-2015 05:21 AM

Table/cabinet interchangeability??? generic Singer to Pfaff 360

Hi:
I am in the process of buying a Pfaff 360. I can buy it with the table/cabinet, but I am starting to have space issues. Thus, I am wondering if a Pfaff 360 would fit into a table/cabinet that used to hold a Singer but currently holds my Moose (oops Morse 300)?
My husband will be really (is) complaining that I am cluttering up our house if I buy another sewing machine with cabinet. Also, the seller is willing to only sell the machine without the base for $50 less, which also makes the Pfaff really reasonable. Therefore, buying only the machine and placing it into the generic Singer table/cabinet would be a space conserving measure. The Moose 300 would be fine going back into its case on the floor.
Thanks, Kathy

Macybaby 07-22-2015 05:26 AM

I've put a Pfaff 130 in a Singer cabinet without a problem.

Not sure what size a 360 is. And sometimes it depends on the cabinet - some have the lift spring, and some have a different front for the 301 and later machines.

I'm not sure what you mean by "generic Singer cabinet" Unless it's one that was designed for a Singer Clone type machine, so it's not a Singer cabinet, but most Singers will fit in it, along with the Japanese made clones (and quite a few later Japanse models too.

Mrs. SewNSew 07-22-2015 05:27 AM

I'd get it without the table for sure. It doesn't need a table IMO.

NapaJohn 07-22-2015 07:22 PM

The Pfaff 360 is not going to fit in a standard Singer cabinet. A Pfaff 130 or 230 would fit as they are both flatbed machines and the hinge pin holes are the same as the Singer's. The 360 (and 332) is a "convertible" free arm machine. It will set just fine on a table and you can use it that way, but the cabinet has to have a recessed area for it to sit in and support it as it doesn't have mounting holes in the back for hinge pins found in those Singer cabinets.

Macybaby 07-23-2015 05:17 AM

thanks for the Info John, I've seen a lot of "generic" cabinet that are designed for machines like this, so maybe that is what the OP was referring to. They are a bit newer than the machines and cabinets I typically deal with. I did modify an older Singer cabinet that was for an open arm machine. there was a clamp to hold them machine to the fold down table, and then you used a plastic insert to fill in the area around the machine if you did not want to use it for open arm. I put a fixed base in at the right height for my Viking so it sticks up just enough for the open arm to line up with a larger top - that I just slide out of the way to get at the bobbin case or us it open arm. though I think if I was doing some serious open arm work. I'd lift the machine and slide the top all the way over and set it on that.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psee349c77.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps009a2a2c.jpg

NapaJohn 07-23-2015 10:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Macybaby. You're correct that there are some cabinets that would accommodate free arm machines, but I assumed the OP referred to cabinets like the Queen Anne Cab or the #42 as those are the type I think of when someone mentions Singer cabinets. I also image googled a Morse 300 which appears to be a 15 clone but I probably shouldn't have assumed. (I know what happens to u and me!) It's entirely possible she's using the Morse in a case bottom or just set in a free arm cabinet. I've also seen a Singer Athena 2000 in a cabinet that I thought the cabinet would probably work with a Pfaff, but didn't buy or try it.

Nice set-up with your Viking. My mother has a similar set-up with her newer (than mine) Pfaff which has a formica insert my stepfather made her but it sits flush with the cabinet and you also have to remove the insert to change bobbins.

I have the cabinet my father purchased for my mother (along with the Pfaff 332-260) in 1957, although I don't think it's actually a Pfaff cabinet, it does work. There is actually an L-shaped insert that uses a tongue and groove joint that slides in the front of the machine which would probably work for some type of Singer but it won't work with the Pfaff. Here's a picture of a Pfaff 332 (my most recent acquisition) in the cabinet:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525979[/ATTACH]

Here's a picture of the back:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525980[/ATTACH]
I'm not sure if you can tell from this pic but the bed extension is slightly above the cabinet top. Since the bed is rounded at the edge, it has never been a problem. I have attempted to put an Elna 62C and a Singer 500 in this cab but they are both a little too short and had to place them on pieces of wood to get the proper height. I thought I would make a plexi insert for around the bed of the 62C but that's not high on my priority list.

The bed of this cabinet does have holes in it to attach a machine (but I'm not sure what machine they are designed for) and there are two dowel-like "levers" you slide to drop the bed down to store the machine. I never drop it with the Pfaff as I never thought it would be easily secured. Here is a pic of the bed dropped.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525981[/ATTACH]

Finally, here is a pic for ChattyKathy. When you go to look at the Pfaff, pop the top off (it easily lifts off with no screwdriver required) and check to see if the belts are in good shape.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525982[/ATTACH]

The double belt on the left is the timing belt and if it's missing or mushy then you'll probably never find a way to replace it. The belt on the right is the motor belt and you might or might not find one of those. They are cotton or nylon with metal cleats and be very careful when cleaning your machine not to get any oil or liquid on them as that will hasten their demise.

The other thing to check on the 360 is the electric plug on the back of the machine. Some of the plugs are broken and I think the 360 has sort of a double prong plug that has been described as "unobtainium" if it's not in good shape. The 332 has a regular plug on the back and still available. I've actually used a Kirby vacuum cleaner cord on my 332-260 for years as an OSMG told me they were easier to get and cheaper at the time. One benefit is that with a cord that long, I can set it up anywhere and still reach an outlet!

I would definitely check out the cabinet, though. Many of the original Pfaff cabinets are really really nice and I would probably trade a couple of other cabinets to have one!

Good luck!

Macybaby 07-24-2015 11:29 AM

Oh- that 332 is a nice looking machine! That is a very neat cabinet too.

ChattyKathy 07-25-2015 12:26 PM

Mrs. SewNSew, Macybaby and NapaJohn thank you for the for the info and beautiful pictures. Unfortunately, that Pfaff got away. Now I am debating between a Pfaff 362 vs Pfaff 360? Is there a big difference between the 2 machine models? Does the 362 offer that much more function/cabability, that I should wait till good price one becomes available? Versus buying a Pfaff 360 at a lower price with more goodies that is available now? Thanks for all the wonderful advice and pictures!!!

zroluk 05-12-2020 12:00 PM

John,
I'm new to sewing and I have a Pfaff 130 in an old cabinet that's falling apart. You mentioned that a P 130 would fit into a "standard Singer cabinet." Could you or any members send some examples of one or advice where I could get a modern replacement cabinet or table?

JoeJr 05-12-2020 12:31 PM

I find empty Singer cabinets (rounded corners on the opening for the machine) on craigslist regularly. I would start there or post in the "wanted" section that you're looking for an empty sewing table. There's facebook marketplace too, but this forum is the only social media I am using.