Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   tell me about this Singer 127 please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/tell-me-about-singer-127-please-t218023.html)

kitsykeel 04-01-2013 06:36 PM

tell me about this Singer 127 please

5 Attachment(s)
Today I found this Singer 127 with Sphinx decals at a local thrift shop. The decals are a bit faded. They want $35.00 for it. It doesn't have a motor, which is alright with me because I have been wanting a handcrank and[ATTACH=CONFIG]405822[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405823[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405824[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405825[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]405826[/ATTACH] a treadle. Can you tell me if this can be done on this machine? Serial No. G4861727 August 22, 1916, 25,000. Thanks for looking. It has the bobbin and the plate that looks like it is missing. It is under the machine.

nanna-up-north 04-02-2013 04:51 AM

I would think that you could convert this to a hand crank or treadle without too much effort. I've not done that with any machines so someone else would be better on that advice. It looks like the stencils are a little worn in spots but the $35 price is certainly reasonable. It certainly is a pretty machine. I have a 126 treadle and I love it. The only difference is the location of the bobbin winder. If everything moves smoothly, it sounds like a good buy to me.

J Miller 04-02-2013 06:37 AM

Kitsy,

Yes, you can treadle it or make it a hand crank machine. It has the motor boss on the front below the hand wheel.

Be advised the top tension is missing the take up and beehive spring. So you'll need to scare those up or a get a new tension unit.

Nice decals, much nicer than mine.

Joe

SteveH 04-02-2013 07:32 AM

Also it looks like there is a shuttle but you want to make sure you have a bobbin also. If not they can be purchased (just like the tensioner)

Nice old gal... if you pick her up, we'd love to see pictures of her cleaned up!

DogHouseMom 04-02-2013 08:54 AM

Given the needed purchase of tension parts ... I would point that out to the seller and make a counter offer for $20.00. My bet is they don't realize the tension is not complete.

kitsykeel 04-02-2013 03:39 PM

To all, thanks for the information. Not sure yet what to do, I've seen many vintage machines but not like this one. Would love to get it but don't want to pay 35 if I have to buy parts. I'll let you all know if I get it.

DogHouseMom 04-02-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel (Post 5973511)
To all, thanks for the information. Not sure yet what to do, I've seen many vintage machines but not like this one. Would love to get it but don't want to pay 35 if I have to buy parts. I'll let you all know if I get it.

Patience .... keep checking your Craigs list (for as far as you are willing to travel), E-Bay, Goodwill ... and other sources. You'll find the right machine for the right price, it just might take a while.

BarbaraSue 04-04-2013 02:03 PM

Yes you can make it a hand crank. I made my 128 into a hand crank. I bought the hand crank from Sew Classic.com. Did have to make a notch for the hand crank to mount on the wheel. Good Luck.