Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is there any way to make old shellac shiny again? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/there-any-way-make-old-shellac-shiny-again-t319892.html)

melissam707 01-09-2023 06:52 PM

Is there any way to make old shellac shiny again?

Is there any way to shine up the old shellac that is left on the machine without doing a french polish or melting it in with new shellac? I'm much too afraid to attempt doing any of that and this is my only machine. I'd like to shine up the head area where the decals are but I don't want to end up removing what's left of them by accident. I just want to protect the shellac that is there but not whiten or remove the decals.

JoeJr 01-09-2023 07:11 PM

I have used Howard's Feed n Wax with good results, if you try it do so in a discreet spot first to test it. I have also used original Gojo hand cleaner, from the auto parts store, followed by sewing machine oil, which worked well also.

melissam707 01-09-2023 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr (Post 8584523)
I have used Howard's Feed n Wax with good results, if you try it do so in a discreet spot first to test it. I have also used original Gojo hand cleaner, from the auto parts store, followed by sewing machine oil, which worked well also.

Would you use the howard's overtop of the decals after you tried it in another spot?

WMUTeach 01-10-2023 04:19 AM

Look at the products available at the Featherweight Shop to shine up your machine, featherweight.com. They also have a nice series of video tutorials to help you care for your machine's surface too.

JoeJr 01-10-2023 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by melissam707 (Post 8584529)
Would you use the howard's overtop of the decals after you tried it in another spot?

I most recently used Howards on a 201, applied gently and removed gently, no problems.

The safest course is to use just sewing machine oil, again applied and removed gently and with something made of all cotton.

With enough elbow grease you can remove the decals no matter what you use.

bkay 01-10-2023 07:47 AM

I've never tried any method for renewing the shellac, so I'm just repeating what I've read on this forum for the last several years.

Glenn, who used to frequent this site, wrote a tutorial for renewing the shellac on machines. It's in the stickies at the top of this forum. If you post a question on that thread, he will reply. He frequents victoriansweatshop.com now.

I've been advised by the "old guys" to use auto polish. There are specific brands that are recommended. I have TR3 resin glaze, which I believe was a recommended polish. But, as I said, I didn't try it.

I think a lot depends on how bad the shellac is compromised. Water will silver the decals.

bkay.

cashs_mom 01-14-2023 08:00 AM

I've used carnuba car wax on my FW's and it works well. That being said, mine were in good shape and I use the wax more as a protectant. If its a basic car wax with no cleaners in it, it shouldn't affect the decals and will probably even protect them.

Rebaquilts 01-16-2023 10:02 AM

I second the Howards Feed & Wax tip. It lubricates the shellac. Apply it liberally and let it soak in, then wipe off and buff. I've applied it more than once and have gotten great results.