Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Is there a machine that you just don't like .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/there-machine-you-just-dont-like-t251692.html)

J Miller 08-11-2014 09:21 AM

Is there a machine that you just don't like ....

.......... yet you have no real reason for not liking it?

I do and it's the Singer 99s. I don't hate them, I just don't really like them. I have two, one E-machine and one HC. I use the HC more than the E-machine, but I really don't like it much either.

The strange thing is, I have two SEWMOR 3/4 sized machines, one of which is a 99K-10 clone, and I like them a lot.

Makes no sense does it?

Joe

tessagin 08-11-2014 09:25 AM

kind of like some people. Just don't know why you like or dislike them but you just do. I came to realize they were just downright boring!

Candace 08-11-2014 09:47 AM

I'm not a 99 fan either, mainly because of the vibration issues they and the 185's tend to have. Maybe your clones don't shake down the house as much and it's why you've bonded better?

I don't like any left homers (left needle position) machines and have talked about the why in depth on other threads. But they don't do what I need so although nifty looking, they don't live at my house!

J Miller 08-11-2014 09:56 AM

tessagin,

You have a point there. If somethings boring to use it will not be your favorite.

Candace,

I've never compared the Singers to the Clones as far as vibration goes. I'll have to do that.

I've got a couple of left homers too. One I keep thinking I should rehome, but it's oh so quiet and smooth. I just can't get rid of it yet.
The other one is only a left homer if you put the SS needle plate on it. If you leave the ZZ plate on, you can set it on center needle position and it's then just like most other machines. So that's what I do with it.

Joe

oldsewnsew 08-11-2014 12:33 PM

I grew to hate a stubborn White 764 zigzagger. Looked nice, but loks deceive. My 99 HC seems pretty quiet. but I'm willing to part with 3 non reversers. And I'm willing to part with any bentwood case. almost...

Rodney 08-11-2014 01:02 PM

So far I like all mine but then I haven't sewn with either a 99 or a Singer 27 yet. We have 2 of each in the house. It turns out I prefer my straight stitch machines over the zigzag capable ones, I think because the straight stitchers are more smooth and quiet than the others. I need to get more machines so I know which ones I like or dislike the most...
Rodney

miriam 08-11-2014 01:32 PM

I guess I don't love plastic wonders.

Glenn 08-11-2014 02:03 PM

I like the old ones without the motor. I sew much better with them. Just ask Miriam how well my treadle and hand cranks work. I think she likes my 27 the best to treadle.
Skip

miriam 08-11-2014 03:39 PM

That 27 and my 15-30 - smooth

foufymaus 08-11-2014 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lydia Necchi MK2 ...fussy fussy fussy... and the cams just cracked so to get a replacement $100 plus... ten times what i paid for it. *shakes head* Although it is a pretty machine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487208[/ATTACH]