Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   thoughts on a kenmore 52? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/thoughts-kenmore-52-a-t224187.html)

J Miller 06-23-2013 06:02 AM

Lara,

I'm not gonna help much with this comment, but we got ours for ..... um ..... free. It's all Miriam's fault too. She saw a free machine on CL and emailed us about it. We went and picked it up. The giver said it didn't sew or didn't feed the fabric, but it did. The only ailment was the feed dog dropper was rusted up. Since getting that freed up and feeding it some Tri-Flow it runs beautifully.

Now, with what I've learned, I wouldn't hesitate to pay the money your guy is asking if I were going to use and keep the machine. Buying it for resale is a different thing.

Joe

Lara122 06-23-2013 08:55 AM

oh, I want it to keep! =)

I emailed him that I have $25, and I would LOVE it, and I have four table toppers to sweeten the pot! HA ha . . sigh. =/. I sent pictures, and said ' worth a try, right?' . . . haven't heard back. Probably won't!

I should put my measly $25 up, and save it for the next Rocketeer I see. =((

miriam 06-23-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by j miller (Post 6138409)
lara,

i'm not gonna help much with this comment, but we got ours for ..... Um ..... Free. It's all miriam's fault too. She saw a free machine on cl and emailed us about it. We went and picked it up. The giver said it didn't sew or didn't feed the fabric, but it did. The only ailment was the feed dog dropper was rusted up. Since getting that freed up and feeding it some tri-flow it runs beautifully.

Now, with what i've learned, i wouldn't hesitate to pay the money your guy is asking if i were going to use and keep the machine. Buying it for resale is a different thing.

Joe

;>D smiley face didn't work for some reason.......

Carol34446 06-23-2013 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lara122 (Post 6138821)
oh, I want it to keep! =)

I emailed him that I have $25, and I would LOVE it, and I have four table toppers to sweeten the pot! HA ha . . sigh. =/. I sent pictures, and said ' worth a try, right?' . . . haven't heard back. Probably won't!

I should put my measly $25 up, and save it for the next Rocketeer I see. =((

You may hear from him yet, if he doesn't sell and once Sunday and other things are over he may contact you, will cross my fingers for you.

mjhaess 06-23-2013 12:39 PM

I have three Kenmores and love all three....They are all different but are all three very strong machines that sew wonderful....

Lara122 06-25-2013 09:42 AM

well, he thanked me for the offer, but declined. Forty is as low as he'll go. No awesome cool old sewing machine for me. Going to try really hard to squirrell away the $25 for the next "wished machine"

darn it.

caroloto 06-25-2013 04:43 PM

Give it a few more days he may contact you again if no one buys it or makes him a better offer. I've noticed in my area on CL the machines sit for weeks and weeks all the time the prices goes down on them.

Originally Posted by Lara122 (Post 6142992)
well, he thanked me for the offer, but declined. Forty is as low as he'll go. No awesome cool old sewing machine for me. Going to try really hard to squirrell away the $25 for the next "wished machine"

darn it.

mlmack 06-25-2013 05:24 PM

I hope he lowers his price so that you can get it, but really, $40 for that machine is a pretty good deal. I'd try to squirrel away another $15.

miriam 06-25-2013 05:36 PM

Whether he lowers the price or not - those old Kenmore's are very nice machines. Where are you going to buy a new machine that will be a match for quality? I dare say the new high end machines don't have the machine work that goes into the older Kenmore machines - especially the older high end Kenmore machines. I think you would have money well spent to buy a machine like that provided it hasn't been abused and it is in reasonable working order.

Lara122 06-26-2013 11:50 AM

oh, Miriam -- I don't want a new one at all. I have never tried to work on one, but I think the name 'plastic wonder' is probably pretty apt!

He did email me this morning and ask me if I wanted to use it or collect it. I told him that i wanted to put that sweet thing to work! ;0) then, admitted that I might be a collector also, since I had two that didn't work (the rocketeers). Told him to google "singer 500a" and see what I *wished* mine looked like!

I have thirty, now - but I'll be stuck there for a while. =//.

two of my (*!#) kids lost textbooks.