Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Thrift Store Find! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/thrift-store-find-t300202.html)

NZquilter 10-14-2018 05:45 AM

Thrift Store Find!

3 Attachment(s)
Yesterday my Hubby and I had to go back down to the area of the State we moved from in the summer for business. It was kinda hard, as that is where we started our married life and dreams, so to brighten the day I asked DH if we could stop at my favorite thrift store and buy every bit of quilting fabric they had, since I haven't found a good thrift store with quilting cotton up here. (I did too! 8 bags of scraps for a $.25 each!) I thought I had already hit the jackpot but then, down by the furniture department, I spied a black balance wheel... Yup! There sat 3 sewing machines! They were all priced at $100, a Centennial Singer 66, a Kenmore, and a Pfaff 130-6! We had only taken the car for fuel economy, so only one machine could come. We took the Pfaff. I am thrilled to find a vintage machine that I can use for my applique now. (Please excuse the toys on the floor in the picture. Our girls stayed home with Nanna and played really hard all day!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602518[/ATTACH]

It is in amazing condition. I don't think it need anymore than just a wipe down in the bobbin area and some oiling. It came with it's instructions manuals, attachments, and even the original warranty paper! It was shipped from Germany in 1952 and bought by Donna in Iowa in 1953. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602519[/ATTACH]

The cabinet is kind of cool too. The chair slides in to look like a chest of drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602521[/ATTACH]

I think we scored big for our last visit to my favorite thrift store in KS!

SillySusan 10-14-2018 05:58 AM

Wow! A very big Contrats to you! Thrift shops are my very favorite places also, however the closest one in my neighborhood decided it wanted to be a fancy boutique and the prices went crazy high! :(

Tartan 10-14-2018 06:28 AM

​Very cool!

zozee 10-14-2018 06:56 AM

Nice score!! When you mentioned your three choices, I was rooting for the Pfaff. So happy for you. Bet it turned the bitter into sweet about having to leave your old town again.

ptquilts 10-14-2018 07:05 AM

that is the most seriously cool chair/cabinet!! And the machine looks pristine! WTG!

Pudge 10-14-2018 07:46 AM

Wow. Just wow.

cashs_mom 10-14-2018 07:54 AM

Nice find! Have fun with it!

Iceblossom 10-14-2018 07:56 AM

Awesome! Isn't it fun when it works out? Absolutely love the cabinet/chair and woot on the fabric!

One of my vintage machines is a Pfaff 332, it belonged to a friend of mine's mom. It came in a nice cabinet which had been "antiqued" back in the 70s to a dirty white, I stripped it down to the mahogany. I don't use the machine much, it is mostly a TV stand but it does fancy fabrics like silks like a dream and back when I did costuming and such it was my go-to machine. Never could get it to work how I wanted with cottons though, couldn't do machine quilting on it at all.

leonf 10-14-2018 08:15 AM

Great score. Glad you have another heartwarming reason to think of the old place. I voted for the PFaff, also.

Nice you have some history with it also.

sewbizgirl 10-14-2018 08:52 AM

Congrats, NZ! I'm so excited for you... all that fabric and a beautiful Pfaff to boot! What a wonderful score. Maybe you should go back once a year or so and see what they have. It sure was worth it this time.