Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Toga..? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/toga-t271911.html)

steihy 11-06-2015 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7367981)
And I would not be surprised about that quality. The German made TS machines are some of the best sewing machines ever made. Frister & Rossmann is my personal fav of the TS machines

Wish I knew how made mine. It's a apparently a badged machine, and I can't quite pinpoint the maker. I looked at every decent picture of every known make I could find online, but some detail - often on the bobbin winder - is always off. All of the hundreds of German manufacturers of this period where probably not big enough to build for badging, but I think there where quite a few.
If you are interested in this and want to give it a go, I'll post more pictures. And there's a serial number, of course.

Stein

SteveH 11-06-2015 09:44 AM

Sure, open up a new thread for the mystery German Machine!

purplefiend 11-06-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by steihy (Post 7367398)
Will someone please enlighten a foreigner:
I keep reading about people meeting for TOGAs. I guess they are not referring to Roman dress style and they are not meeting for cocktails. So what is a TOGA? Do I want one?

Stein

TOGA is a gathering of members of Treadle On, I have been a member since 2007. We have gatherings all over the country and the world; over 2,000 members now. Our website is: www.treadleon.net , you will find a listing of the different TOGAs on the website. We promote the use of people powered machines, so that our sewing heritage won't die.
Sharon in Texas

steihy 11-06-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7368048)
Sure, open up a new thread for the mystery German Machine!

Why, we're right on topic, having us a TOGA right here..? Okay, I'll do that, could be interesting

steihy 11-06-2015 10:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7368037)
hmmmm.. Have you looked up in the receiver hole? may be gunk in there. I'll check my stock to see what I have in the needle department.

We can finish the needle talk here, I guess. The receptacle is a groove in front of the bar, easily visible, no gunk. The Singer 12 needles TreadleLady.com sold me are 1,3 mm shank. For the record: She did not promise they would work, and recommended I tested before I went overboard. The needles that work well (supposedly system 339) are 1 mm. (shank, not shaft). The hole is also higher in the S12 needle, i.e. must sit lower in the clamp.
To confuse matters more: I think you can find different thickness S12 shanks, maybe som needles will work.

sewbeadit 11-06-2015 04:52 PM

That is a beautiful machine and table, would love one of those in my living room, hope you get the needles you need.

Farmhousesewer 11-06-2015 05:53 PM

Stein, It is likely Treadlelady is out of Schmetz 12x1 and is selling NBx5. I am not sure of the dimensions, but it is listed as a replacement.

12x1 dimensions are 1.04mm Shank diameter; 32mm to top of eye and 37.3mm length to eye. Alternate is Boye 23.
If you give me an idea of where you are located, I can send you some needles. Contact me off list.

jlhmnj 11-06-2015 09:12 PM

Hi,

System 339 is equvalent to a 12x1 needle. The length and shank diameter vary slightly between needle makers but 1.30 mm shank is quite a bit on the large side but probably OK for some machines.

One of these days I'll make it to the Gettysburg, PA TOGA and make a mini vacation there while I'm at it.

Jon

Farmhousesewer 11-08-2015 04:07 PM

Jon, I am making every effort to get to the 2016 Lancaster PA gathering. Dates are June 24 & 25th. Planning to go straight from the NC Toga and spend time in Lancaster area with my husband earlier in the week. Hope you can make it.

jlhmnj 11-08-2015 04:57 PM

Maria,

I forgot about the Lancaster TOGA and it's closer to me than Gettysburg. I was just in the neighborhood on Saturday picking up chocolate at Wilburs Chocolate Factory in Lititz, PA. I really should load up the car and raffle or give away some un needed stuff. These get togethers are a great idea.

Jon