Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Top 10 Reasons To Sew With A Treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/top-10-reasons-sew-treadle-t254720.html)

ThayerRags 10-03-2014 01:20 PM

Top 10 Reasons To Sew With A Treadle

1. If the power goes out, I can still sew (even if I can’t see what I’m sewing and I'm freezing to death).

2. I can save a lot of money on electric bills (although I’d probably save more by just turning the lights off when I left rooms).

3. It’s my way of joining the “Go Green” movement (and not having to give up any of the other fuel-wasting and environment-damaging luxuries that I enjoy).

4. It’s my way to connect with my fore-mothers and their more primitive lives (no wonder they were so grumpy sometimes, especially when they were sewing).

5. The technology of my machine is old enough that I’ve had time to learn how it works (without having to ask a 5th-grader).

6. I don’t have to put up with relatives always wanting to borrow my machine.

7. I don’t have to worry about turning it off or unplugging it when I quit sewing.

8. The machine won’t ever sew too fast and out-run me (although I can still out-run myself, and I have proven it).

9. I don’t need to find an extension cord to use it too-far from the plug-in.

10. The rhythmic sound of my treadle machine soothes me and brings a peace-of-mind to my inner being (until I jam the machine and break the thread, and then all bets are off).

These are my top 10, what are yours?

CD in Oklahoma

pojo 10-03-2014 01:48 PM

your legs get exercise with a treadle.

quiltingcandy 10-03-2014 01:52 PM

You forgot they are good exercise - or at least a little more movement than just sitting and stepping off and on the pedal.

I like sewing with it because mine did belong to a great-great aunt. Even though I never met her, I heard wonderful stories about her and believe she would be happy that her machine is still in the family and getting used from time to time.

You are right, no one asks to borrow them - but I did make my sister sit down and sew with it. Told her she needed the experience. And ya know, she liked it, so bought one of her own.

And they are just plain fun to use - anyway, I think so.

Caroline S 10-04-2014 04:17 AM

Therapy for the soul

yobrosew 10-04-2014 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6914657)
Therapy for the soul

Exactly. "Therapy for the soul". My teenager daughter found her equivalent therapy recently. She bought a manual typewriter; vintage 1960's. When she told me she wanted to get one I looked at her sort of funny. Like, she is showing me while I am sitting with Myrtle, my White treadle!

csharp 10-04-2014 06:32 AM

I don't have a top 10, so yours will do for me, and also give me and excuse for why I have one...lol...thanks for the insight.

Rodney 10-04-2014 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6914657)
Therapy for the soul

Yup.

Yobrosew: Can you still buy ribbons for old typewriters? Some of the old ones are really cool. They have the same problems as sewing machines though. People buy them to rip the buttons off for jewelry and other things. I've seen steampunk keyboards with the typewriter buttons replacing the keys. Some examples are better than others.
Rodney

maviskw 10-04-2014 03:07 PM

I learned to sew on an electric New Home, but when I got to high school, they had treadles and electrics. I tried the treadles and loved them. Now I have the itch to get one. I have my eye on a beautiful one that is being used as a table for an electric machine. I can't sleep nights thinking about it. I don't think it is for sale.

I like them because you can control them with your feet: make them stop on a dime. And I am into old things.

Cari-in-Oly 10-04-2014 03:40 PM

I don't have a top 10 YET. When my treadle is ready I imagine I will.

Cari

purplefiend 10-04-2014 04:33 PM

I like sewing with a treadle because:
1. I can sew late into the night with no motor noise to disturb the rest of my family when they're asleep.
2. It's quiet.
3. It's relaxing.
4. I have the joy of sewing with a well made machine.
5. I can sew without electricity, just need a flash light.