Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadle users: how often do you replace the cord? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadle-users-how-often-do-you-replace-cord-t267371.html)

Beautiful_Sound 07-08-2015 05:07 PM

Treadle users: how often do you replace the cord?

I have shortened mine several times over the years and it seems I may need to do it again. The cord is probably 14 years old. I've seen machines with practically ancient cords still holding well, or I'm easily duped.

My cord is mostly likely showing the stretch of near daily use.

Tartan 07-08-2015 05:58 PM

I shorten mine when it starts to slip. If it is just starting to slip, I can put it off a little longer if I run a damp facecloth down it. It helps to moisten the belt for better grip and it swell a little as well.

manicmike 07-08-2015 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful_Sound (Post 7251543)
I have shortened mine several times over the years and it seems I may need to do it again. The cord is probably 14 years old. I've seen machines with practically ancient cords still holding well, or I'm easily duped.

My cord is mostly likely showing the stretch of near daily use.

I've never had a treadle long enough to have to change the belt. I've also seen what looks like 50+ year old ones that still work!

They're only about $10 for a replacement, though, so maybe buy one as a standby :)
I'd keep doing what you're doing until it's unsalvageable.

Rodney 07-09-2015 02:26 PM

Part of it may be that the way leather is tanned has changed since the old days. I don't think new leather is as durable as the old stuff was.
Rodney

J Miller 07-09-2015 02:32 PM

Wellllllllll, I haven't had a treadle in action long enough to wear one out, but with my personality traits, I'd most likely wait till it was just unusable. I have had to replace old ones that just wouldn't quit stretching and then just kept breaking at the clip.

Joe

Jeanette Frantz 07-09-2015 03:08 PM

I think anyone who has a treadle machine, should probably consider having one spare treadle belt on hand. Otherwise, if your belt breaks, you're shut down entirely until the new belt gets to you! Here, in North Central Florida, it's going to take 3-4 days to get a belt or other supplies! JMHO!

Jeanette

DonnaMiller 07-09-2015 09:38 PM

I just bought one for DD's 127 machine. I got it from Sharp Sewing in LA. Sew-Classic.com has a reasonable price and more than one from which to choose. There are also rubber ones now and haven't tried one of those yet. You can also get belt dressing, which is a refined form of linseed oil, that helps the belt get more traction. Don't spray it on directly, but wipe it on with a rag. Wetting ever so slightly with water will help for a while, but dries out the leather and will eventually crack it. I also recommend having a spare belt. Sew-Classic.com has a tutorial on how to replace the belt and how to stretch it to avoid problems later. It is all free and can be seen on their web site. I will order my next belt from them for my White Rotary, which belonged to my mother. Jennie there is very helpful, as she is an expert and knows her stuff. She is glad to share her knowledge with all who ask.

SteveH 07-10-2015 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7252250)
Part of it may be that the way leather is tanned has changed since the old days. I don't think new leather is as durable as the old stuff was.
Rodney

This is SO correct. The original belts were flat belts, but the first "round" belts were rawhide strips with the hair on. When they dried, the hide would curl towards the hair so it ended up hair inside with an outer skin of hide. I have two old belts that when they broke, you can see the hair in the center still. there was no way to tell from the outside that they were not just "leather".

Modern belts are made by running cut strips through a machine that rounds the 4 corners to make it round. Huge strength difference....

PatrickTweed 07-17-2015 02:41 PM

When my belt starts to slip instead of tightening it I use rosin. I read about it in treadle on and it seems to work. http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...eadlebelt.html

Rodney 07-17-2015 04:13 PM

I saw someone (sorry I don't remember where) using a long flexible coil spring as a belt.
Rodney