Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Triflow vs Sewing Machine Oil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/triflow-vs-sewing-machine-oil-t289206.html)

oregongirl 06-24-2017 01:20 PM

Triflow vs Sewing Machine Oil

I have a Singer 503a that I bought for my daughter from a vintage refurbisher maybe 4-5 years ago. He had replaced the oil with Triflow. If I recall correctly, it's not ok to use SMO after Triflow has been used. Is that correct?

Her machine is much noisier than mine (same model) and I use SMO. I'd love to just use it on hers but don't want to gunk up anything if that's going to create a problem. I'm trying to get her machine ready and hopefully working well as she's moving to an apartment this weekend.

Thanks for any help!

Julie

Mickey2 06-24-2017 02:45 PM

No it's not correct, you can switch back to basic sewing machine oil for what ever reason you have. Triflow is basic mineral oil ( like sewing machine oil) added a bit of extra solvents and teflon. You will not gunk up anything on her machine with fresh new oil of the right kind. If it's nosier than your machine it's not due to Triflow; it's most likely need more cleaning and oiling to improve regardless of what you use. Triflow should make it extra smooth though, teflon in a good oil works well.

ube quilting 06-24-2017 03:22 PM

Good info to make use of. TFS

oregongirl 06-24-2017 04:03 PM

Thanks so much for the help!!

OurWorkbench 06-27-2017 03:05 AM

Julie, you might want to check out https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintag...a-t271809.html particularly post #15 in regards to putting a drop of 30W motor oil "right below the upper motor gear" to see if that helps a little. Fresh sewing machine oil will probably help, too.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Sewnoma 06-28-2017 06:23 AM

I need to follow up on that thread too - my 503 has gotten a bit growly lately and I haven't yet figured out why, but I haven't really done a thorough job troubleshooting yet. Thanks for reposting that link, Janey.

Mickey2 06-28-2017 08:58 AM

It's usually about cleaning, a drop or two of oil in the right places, new grease etc; use the machine a bit and repeat it the next day; grease in the right places of course. If something sticks or gets sluggish; keep at it the rest of the week.

cashs_mom 06-28-2017 09:37 AM

Thanks, Mickey. Good to know for those of us who are vintage machine newbies.

Mickey2 06-28-2017 01:11 PM

It's odd how many of these issues solve themselves with cleaning and oiling. Together with a bit of test sewing we pick up minor issues along the way; tension setting, new belts and bobbin tyres... For two weeks I though my 201 was out of timing because the needle scratched one side of the turning part under the race and hook; it tured out the be build up of dirt and grime in the neede bar, behind the needle clamp. I thought I already had the hole thing off and cleaned, but further cleaning solved the problem.

As the decades go by, they often need a few rounds of cleaning, degreasing and lubrication. Cleaning isn't everything, but in the beginning it's a bit part of it. It's very easy to overlook the basic things when fine tuning these old machines. It is a bit tricky to detect exactly wich joint, hinge, cam or gear in a machine is causing the problem, but I guess that's the job we eagerly have taken on when we seek out our favorite vintage models.

tscweaves 06-28-2017 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 (Post 7853431)
It's odd how many of these issues solve themselves with cleaning and oiling.

Mickey, You are so right. I believe that these vintage machines were built for regular use. I have found that the more I use them, the smoother they run. My problem now is I do not have enough to sew to keep all of my machines busy, unfortunately I still have a day job and my weaving studio:-)