Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   trouble sewing several layers of fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/trouble-sewing-several-layers-fabric-t253827.html)

indysheart 09-15-2014 07:57 PM

trouble sewing several layers of fabric

I am having trouble with my machine not wanting to sew through more than 2 layers of heavier weight cotton tonight. Last night it was fine. Even sewed a jeans fabric. The needle seems to get stuck trying to push through. I have a heavy weight needle loaded on. Even put a new one in case the other was dull ( didn't look like it.) Cleaned the bobbin area of lint. Rethreaded. Sews fine on thinner fabric. Any ideas? Have some projects I need to finish and am coming up with no other ideas.

indysheart 09-15-2014 07:57 PM

Oh it's a 15-91.

Candace 09-15-2014 09:43 PM

When did you last clean and oil it? Probably a good idea.

xxxxxxxxxx 09-16-2014 12:00 AM

I sew denim / jeans fabric often, when I start hearing at pop pop sound I know the needle is dull, it's time to resharpen it,

new needles I find even the better brands are not really sharp ,

try using a piece of black sand paper laying on a hard flat surface, drag the tip of the needle over that. use like 400 / 600 / 800 grit paper.

at times I'll just use a knife sharpening wet stone. you might be surprised what that will do

J Miller 09-16-2014 05:02 AM

indysheart,

I would suggest trying a size 16 jeans / denim needle. Sometimes a really heavy needle causes more resistance than you'd believe. Normally I use a size 16 regular needle when I sew denim. If you're new needle doesn't improve the situation, try some from another batch.

Joe

indysheart 09-16-2014 06:31 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I did just clean / oil the machine about 6 months ago when I got it. I cleaned out the bobbin area pretty well last night. I'll try again tonight with some compressed air. Maybe I missed a spot. I'll try the needle sharpening trick and go get a size 16 also. I got this set of needles at 12 am at walmart one night :) singer heavy duty. I'm afraid to buy an " other brand".

Caroline S 09-16-2014 06:48 AM

Forget the Singer needles. If they came from Walmart they are made in China and the quality is dubious. I buy Schmetz needles almost exclusively.

indysheart 09-16-2014 07:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m just new to the vintage sewing machine world and am really hesitant to buy “non-branded” items. I’m afraid to break the machine, though I know these old ones are built like tanks. But, it makes sense that buying needles from Walmart might be sketchy. My poor husband turned around and got me and made a pit stop on his way to work when I called to tell him I bent my needle and needed new ones, right then. No waiting. Of course Walmart was the only place open with a craft/ sewing aisle at that time of night.