Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   trouble with Singer 503 stop motion wheel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/trouble-singer-503-stop-motion-wheel-t282428.html)

bkay 09-23-2016 04:38 PM

trouble with Singer 503 stop motion wheel

Today has not been my good sewing machine day. I decided to give up the touch and sew, as oiling it didn't fix the going slow part. I assume it's the motor.

Got out the 201-2 and couldn't get it out of the cabinet easily, so went for the 503.

I got the 503 set up. (I cleaned and oiled it a couple of months ago.) I looked up how to wind the bobbin and then couldn't get the stop motion wheel to unscrew. A couple of strong guys tried to no avail.

I'm finding these old machines aren't as easy as they look.

Any tips on loosening that wheel? Is this a hair dryer thing?

bkay

quiltedsunshine 09-23-2016 07:00 PM

When I can't get that knob loose, I wrap some rubbery shelf liner around the inner knob and use a large pair of channel locks to grab it and loosen it. I also put a piece of the shelf liner on the handwheel so I can get a better grip.

Mickey2 09-23-2016 11:35 PM

When you get the hand wheel loose, take it off and grease parts. It will not get stuck like that again (...well. in the next 6 years or so) I'm not sure with the 503, but it might have oil points under the lid; if so tilt the machine to the right to persuade the oil to seep all the way out to the stop motions screw (place thick book or something under the left side). These old machine can take some time to get tuned up; in the sense that when you initially clean and oil them you free them up, and when you start using them you get to tend to all the minor things turning up along the way. Stick with a machine as see it through, and some of these machines are built to service you for life.

Your Touch & Sew motor might need cleaning and greasing, and there might be thread bits, or something that needs to be cleaned out (thread wound around a hand wheel will gradually stop a machine, can be invisible until you take it off). Inspect gears, plastic can crack, if just a bit they usually still run, just very noisily.

bkay 09-27-2016 06:11 PM

We finally got it loose today. It works perfectly. It filled the bobbin.

I'll take it apart and oil everything under the top. (I think I did that a couple of months ago, but it can't hurt to do it again.)

Again, thanks for your help. I love this machine.

bkay

cashs_mom 09-27-2016 06:23 PM

Interesting bkay. I have a 503 and I can't get the wheel loose either. I finally gave up and I just wind the bobbins on the 301. I figure I'll take the 503 to the shop some day for something and have them deal with it then.

bkay 09-27-2016 06:45 PM

I bought a husky strap wrench at home depot. I held the bigger wheel with the wrench and the DH turned the outer ring by hand.

We tried a pair of channel locks on the smaller wheel while holding the larger wheel with the strap wrench, but couldn't get the channel locks to grip, even with the rubber shelf paper. He said, lets just try it this way, and fortunately, he broke it loose.

We bought two of the wrenches in case we had to resort to one on each wheel. I'll be taking one of them back.

bkay

cashs_mom 09-27-2016 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7663106)
I bought a husky strap wrench at home depot. I held the bigger wheel with the wrench and the DH turned the outer ring by hand.

We tried a pair of channel locks on the smaller wheel while holding the larger wheel with the strap wrench, but couldn't get the channel locks to grip, even with the rubber shelf paper. He said, lets just try it this way, and fortunately, he broke it loose.

We bought two of the wrenches in case we had to resort to one on each wheel. I'll be taking one of them back.

bkay

Thanks, bkay. If I decide to try to loosen it myself, I'll try that. I think my husband has one of those strap wrench things. At least he should as many tools as he has in the garage. :D

quiltedsunshine 09-27-2016 08:28 PM

Oooo! I like the strap wrench idea! Will have to invest in a couple of those.