Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Unwinding bobbins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/unwinding-bobbins-t186984.html)

Ccorazone 04-23-2012 03:46 PM

Unwinding bobbins

I just spent the better part of two hours taking the thread off of over 100 bobbins from the haul I made today on CraigsList. Most had more than one color thread. Some had three, four and up to six layers of different colored thread.

Nanamoms 04-24-2012 02:50 PM

Yep, in the old days, we always wound color on top of color!! Don't know why because we certainly wouldn't remember what colors were wound!! I have my Mother's sewing desk to go thru and I know I'm going to find several bobbins like that! An exploration into color!!!

KatFish 04-24-2012 06:26 PM

Congrats on your great find. Wish I could find some of the vintage class 15 bobbins.

valleyquiltermo 04-24-2012 07:59 PM

Been there done that. LOL

SunlitenSmiles 04-25-2012 03:53 AM

my Mom did that....never could figure out why....and most of the time the thread in the bobbin would pick up and when you finished sewing the seam and went to press it there would be some strange color .....funny now, not so much then. I do save thread by sidewinding it from the bobbin onto a couple of dozen old bobbins from a former machine, and then use it for applique, binding, hemming and practicing FMQ.

helenquilt 04-25-2012 05:35 AM

My mother did it because she didn't have a nickle to buy another spool of thread. Some sewing didn't make any difference what color so she only put the color she needed to hem pa's pants at that time. Also when she could buy a new dress it was always too long. She would carefully remove the thread, rehem then save the rest in case she needed to make a repair.

Ccorazone 04-25-2012 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by KatFish (Post 5167440)
Congrats on your great find. Wish I could find some of the vintage class 15 bobbins.

I got some in my haul. How many do you think you need?

jeanharville 04-25-2012 07:32 PM

Our parents and grand parents were so frugal and creative with so little. Waste not want not. My mother still saves used aluminum foil. Of course I do to now that I know it will sharpen scissors and pinking shears.

Nagi 04-25-2012 09:20 PM

My mom did the same thing:)

chris_quilts 04-30-2012 06:24 PM

I still wind different colors onto my 301 bobbins. I only have 4 good ones so sometimes I have 2 - 3 colors on a bobbin. It is a wee bit crazy but have not found any good replacement bobbins although I know there are shops that sell them. However, I have been burned by buying bobbins from 2 reputable dealers and the darn bobbins don't work so am out teh $ spent on them and the shipping.

What I have are some possibly vintage bobbins with one side with 4 holes and one side with no holes that aren't class 66 or class 15 ones. Anybody want to take a guess??