Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Victorian aged Gritzner - I should go back and get it, shouldn't I? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/victorian-aged-gritzner-i-should-go-back-get-shouldnt-i-t260246.html)

ArchaicArcane 01-24-2015 11:25 PM

Oh! That CLR stuff is nasty! I have a bad habit of not wearing gloves when I work on a lot of house projects. The first house I bought had a disaster for a basement bathroom. I tried some CLR on the sink to even have a fighting chance at cleaning it. Yup, no gloves. My hands were so burned and peeling that people thought I'd put my hands in a lit wood stove, and that was about a minute's exposure.

OK, I've obviously bonded with this machine. Now I'm nervous that someone's bought it in the hour between when I left the store and they closed. :( Going to be there when they open in the morning.

xxxxxxxxxx 01-24-2015 11:41 PM

That CLR, it's been here for well over 20 yrs unopened. I wouldn't let the ex use it, after hearing feedback on what it can do to drains .. I thought it had been taken off the market.

Then people started showing pic of what they have done to old cars ( rusty cars) to bring back whats left of the original paint job..

welp my acid was gone, so out came the CLR, of course outside, I'm use to using acid which will clean any rust off in minutes, yes burn holes in skin.

anyway plastic bucket a old streamer pan for parts and the water hose.

Rodney 01-25-2015 09:43 AM

Just wondering if you got it home yet. It's a pretty machine even with no decals.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 01-25-2015 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7062697)
Oh! That CLR stuff is nasty! I have a bad habit of not wearing gloves when I work on a lot of house projects. The first house I bought had a disaster for a basement bathroom. I tried some CLR on the sink to even have a fighting chance at cleaning it. Yup, no gloves. My hands were so burned and peeling that people thought I'd put my hands in a lit wood stove, and that was about a minute's exposure.

OK, I've obviously bonded with this machine. Now I'm nervous that someone's bought it in the hour between when I left the store and they closed. :( Going to be there when they open in the morning.

You have lost your poker face completely LOL! If you can get it back...you might be able to bargain a little. I wonder how long it's been sitting there?

I have a week spot for German hand cranks too! ♥

ArchaicArcane 01-25-2015 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney (Post 7063131)
Just wondering if you got it home yet. It's a pretty machine even with no decals.
Rodney

We got there about 5 minutes after they opened and yes, got it. Then DH wanted to walk around and snoop and stretch his leg. We're 2 mins from home now, where it'll get a dose of oil and some new photos. ;)

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew (Post 7063273)
You have lost your poker face completely LOL! If you can get it back...you might be able to bargain a little. I wonder how long it's been sitting there?

I have a week spot for German hand cranks too! ♥

lol! Well, that shop doesn't really bargain but when Steve told me what he'd pay, I figured it didn't matter too much. That base with that wheel, I was a goner right at the beginning. I'm not sure how I lasted so long, really.

costumegirl 01-25-2015 01:06 PM

Tammi - do you know what this one is?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ationFlag=true

SteveH 01-25-2015 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl (Post 7063405)
Tammi - do you know what this one is?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-art-collectib...ationFlag=true

Hard to tell from the back. How many Silver Dollars do they want?

ArchaicArcane 01-25-2015 02:18 PM

LOL!
"WAS USED BY THE GOVENER OF FLORIDA IN THE MID 1800s SO THE STORY GOS, BEEN IN THE FAMILY SINCE 1900, WORKS, TRADE FOR SILVER DOLLARS"

I don't know what it is either, but I can't see the Governor's machine ending up in Canada without one heck of a story.

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7063446)
Hard to tell from the back. How many Silver Dollars do they want?

How many do they need to keep their supply of funny cigarettes going?

ArchaicArcane 01-25-2015 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK! She's home. She's going to be a lot of work but we cleared one hurdle:
The shuttle's out and soaking in Evaporust. I convinced the slide plate to move and the shuttle was close enough to the left I could just squeak it out.

I'm thinking of going and getting a 10Gallon drum and putting her right in it! :) I think I know where she's seized and since in our climate we don't usually have badly seized stuff, this will be my biggest challenge to date, but I think she's worth it.

She's almost identical (mechanically) to the Frister and Rossman I grabbed last month, so I have reference too.

I guess I have my own "naked lady" now. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507651[/ATTACH]

You know it's funny, none of my pics really show her rusty color. She is rusty but I think I can work with it. Since I don't have to worry about ruining her decals, I have some latitude. Tonight, I'm going to pour over some of SteveH's posts to see about rehabilitation chemicals and processes. For now, I'm off to do some electrical on a motorcycle.

SteveH 01-25-2015 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7063515)
OK! She's home. She's going to be a lot of work but we cleared one hurdle:
The shuttle's out and soaking in Evaporust. I convinced the slide plate to move and the shuttle was close enough to the left I could just squeak it out.

I'm thinking of going and getting a 10Gallon drum and putting her right in it! :) I think I know where she's seized and since in our climate we don't usually have badly seized stuff, this will be my biggest challenge to date, but I think she's worth it.

She's almost identical (mechanically) to the Frister and Rossman I grabbed last month, so I have reference too.

I guess I have my own "naked lady" now. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507651[/ATTACH]

You know it's funny, none of my pics really show her rusty color. She is rusty but I think I can work with it. Since I don't have to worry about ruining her decals, I have some latitude. Tonight, I'm going to pour over some of SteveH's posts to see about rehabilitation chemicals and processes. For now, I'm off to do some electrical on a motorcycle.

PM anytime for email to discuss "offline". or here.