Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Viking Stitch Width Knob (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/viking-stitch-width-knob-t278919.html)

quiltedsunshine 05-23-2016 06:19 PM

Viking Stitch Width Knob

3 Attachment(s)
My neighbor has asked me to get her Viking knob un-stuck. I've tried everything I know of. When I asked my boss how these knobs come off, he said, "they don't.' The stitch width knob pulls out to engage the buttonhole system. We should be able to push the knob back in to engage the stitch width. I can pull it out and push it back in, but I can't turn the knob to get any stitch width. Here's a couple pictures --one with the knob pushed in and one with it pulled out. Plus a picture of the thread mess I got out of the handwheel. Any suggestions?

Macybaby 05-23-2016 06:56 PM

There is an issue with the era vikings. They used the self lube stuff that was good for about 30 years, and then it hardens up. Only way to fix the problem is to carefully take it apart and clean ALL of the old stuff out. Don't try to force anything - it breaks very easily.

They are rather complicated machines, some of them require taking most of the machine apart to get at. There are some manuals out there, don't recall exactly where right now - but the main thing do NOT try to force anything, if it won't move easily and you try to move it, you will break something.

quiltedsunshine 05-23-2016 07:30 PM

Yep, that's why the boss didn't want it in his shop. LOL! I'm about at the point that I want to try Dawn dish soap.

miriam 05-24-2016 01:27 AM

When you have a stuck machine you have to clean and oil every little thing. The knob itself can be sruck but just as likely it can be stuck with dried oil anywhere along the path the knob would travel. SOB to find.

Mickey2 05-24-2016 02:35 AM

A tricky one. How on earth did all that thread get in there? Repeated applications of spray can oil can dissolve and flush things out. Some of them literally seep upwards with just the slightest movement of the machine. Let us know how things are working out :- )

miriam 05-24-2016 03:08 AM

There are quick and dirty and cheap ways to do things but what happens a while down the road???

quiltedsunshine 05-24-2016 04:56 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep working with it.

bluekitty 05-24-2016 01:26 PM

Hi, I was given a viking from 1973/4 which had a stuck-in reverse button.
I found and joined a yahoo group for pre 1980 viking machines and asked for advice which was so helpful. I managed to loosen off the button and it now sews so well. I used a spray similar to WD40 but with a silicone ingredient which was recommended. I live in the UK and sourced my spray through a carparts shop. I downloaded a service manual from the yahoo group which I`ve got for future reference too. Hope this can help

Mickey2 05-24-2016 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7557950)
There are quick and dirty and cheap ways to do things but what happens a while down the road???

I agree, parts should ideally be cleaned thoroughly and lubricated after.

Cari-in-Oly 05-24-2016 02:57 PM

Holy cr** Annette, how did she not notice a whole spool of thread gone missing?

Cari