Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage children's sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-childrens-sewing-machines-t170590.html)

Wonnie 12-03-2011 05:41 AM

Oh, my gosh! Haven't seen one of those in years. It was my mother's first sewing machine and she made a Halloween costume with it.

BoJangles 12-03-2011 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]292713[/ATTACH]Here is my little jewel! We got her all oiled up - cleaned out a bunch of very large sized thread from around the hand wheel and she stitches a perfect stitch!

Nancy

Jeandrig 12-03-2011 02:21 PM

the inventor of these machines are amazing to me. Looks like a very simple machine too. Wish we still had seam guides like that now. Do you know how old it is?

Celeste 12-04-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 (Post 4745982)
Celeste...your problem with bird's nests are due to lack of tension...

Thank you for your help, donna.
I have been fiddling with the tension, just the screw part, and when I do about a two inch chain all but one look nice. Just a tiny little loop. I did not think to oil that! Silly me. I did (I hope), every where else. Are those two disc things supposed to be facing the same way? That's how they were when I cleaned them...

MisDixie 12-04-2011 02:30 PM

Grayhare, I have the same machine, compleat but with green on the decals where yours is red. My DMIL got it as a child in the 1920's. I love it.
MisDixie

Originally Posted by grayhare (Post 4744232)
Here is a picture of my little machine with no wheel. I am looking for the wheel and parts to make it complete. It is so tiny the decals are very nice, and the chrome is cleaning up nicely.

grayhare 12-04-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MisDixie (Post 4750921)
Grayhare, I have the same machine, compleat but with green on the decals where yours is red. My DMIL got it as a child in the 1920's. I love it.
MisDixie

I would love to see a picture of it! They are so little and cute.

donna13350 12-05-2011 02:16 AM

I don't remember about the tension discs...I don't have one here right now to check, maybe someone with a machine on hand can look and tell you. Just my experience with fixing these up, I don't think they should be "spooned"...it won't hurt anything to take them off and put them back to back, then try sewing with it...most tension discs that I have seen are back to back..smooth surface touching smooth surface...they have to be this way so the thread won't bind or snag...it is the tightening of the spring that creates pressure on the 2 discs, so there is tension on the thread, but if they are spooned it just doesn't sound correct to me. Donna

BoJangles 12-05-2011 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig (Post 4747850)
the inventor of these machines are amazing to me. Looks like a very simple machine too. Wish we still had seam guides like that now. Do you know how old it is?

Jean, I am not sure who you are addressing this question to, but I think my machine is a 1950's machine. Singer made the toy machines from about 1910 to the 1950's, then resurrected them in the 70's for a short time. The machines from the 70's were more modern looking with enclosed parts. Starting in about 1922, Singer numbered the thread guides. My machine has numbered thread guides so I know it was made between 1922 and the 1950's. By the picture on the box I'd guess the 1950's - besides there are two other people on here who have the same machine with dates of 1953.

Nancy

Charlee 12-05-2011 06:40 AM

My machine and box are the same as Nancy's (Bojangles), the manual that came with mine has a 1953 copyright date, making mine, at least, after that date. :)

Linkbeth 12-05-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4752924)
My machine and box are the same as Nancy's (Bojangles), the manual that came with mine has a 1953 copyright date, making mine, at least, after that date. :)

Anyone have an idea how I can get a manual or a copy of one for the 1922 model k-20?? Putting together a folio for my DS, who has Mom's k-20..been looking all over the net as well as ISMAC..but not finding one..