Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Child's Singer 20 Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-childs-singer-20-sewing-machine-t174933.html)

clsurz 01-08-2012 03:51 PM

Vintage Child's Singer 20 Sewing Machine

1 Attachment(s)
I have an opportunity to bid on these next weekend but need more information on possible value with what is shown in picture. Can someone with knowledge give me more info on it.

deedum 01-09-2012 04:53 AM

I don't know but they sure are cute!

Charlee 01-09-2012 05:19 AM

The Singers are Model 20's and neat little chain stitiching machines. I don't know what the blue machine is. The Singers retail for anywhere from $50 to $150, depending on the area, condition, and whether or not all the parts are there, in particular the "C" clamps that hold them to the table. I believe the tan ones are from the 60's, but don't quote me on that!
They look to be in good shape!

MarieM 01-09-2012 08:06 AM

I have a 20 that I got at a household auction. It was in the original box and had all its parts, moved freely and I played with it once I got in the car and had it sewing by the time we left the parking lot (DH was driving). I paid $57 for it.

KyKaren1949 01-09-2012 10:37 AM

I have several of the toy sewing machines. Singer originally gave them to little girls in the 1950s-1960s when their Mom's bought a sewing machine. Great advertising gimmick; get the kids hooked on sewing!
The black ones like your two beige ones pictured, usually sell for a little more than the beige ones do. They are more valuable if the matching C-clamp and box are included in the purchase. They have been increasing in prices on ebay over the past three years. Usually the black ones go for anywhere from $50 up to $100; depending on condition and completeness of the collection. There is also an older black Singer. I've kind of been collecting toy sewing machines; have about 10 of them.

sherian 01-09-2012 01:09 PM

Count me in: I have a 1920 black singer(needs clamp), blue flower on not sure make 1930, Besie Ross green.
Alll in good shape, I just really like them. One sears white & pink plastic 1960 maybe, it was so cheap I had to get it.
It was .99 and shipping was 5.98. I starting looking up the history on them now.
Would love to get a Besty Clark, Precious moments there not as old but I have always collected her things. It may be from the 70's I think.
One last thing from the 70s I hear good things about a gennie singer sewing machine for classes 16 lbs. straight stiches & some exrea stiches. Mood design, it sounds interesting.

Tink's Mom 01-09-2012 02:28 PM

I saw the blue one in an antique store last fall...it is not a Singer, but can't remember the name right now...price was $39. I can't believe I can remember the price but not the name...so sad.

BarbaraSue 01-09-2012 05:25 PM

sorry, I can't say anything other than they sure are cute!

athenascooter 01-10-2012 12:26 PM

I have the little touch and sew sewing machine from my girls from the 60s. They didn't use it much and sorry to say they still do not sew and I do the mending for them. It is in the original box so I would also like to know the value

ppquilter 02-07-2012 09:36 AM

These are so much fun to collect. I have pics of mine in my photo album in my profile.