Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-japanese-badged-zig-zag-straight-sew-sewing-machines-t207877.html)

SarahDressmaker190 05-29-2020 08:09 PM

OurWorkBench, thank you!! I will try that! So far I haven’t been able to get the “red” knob to move, twist, or pull in or out. I’ve been afraid of breaking it but I’ll see if I can clean it a little and get it to move. And thank you for your insight on backstitches!

SarahDressmaker190 05-29-2020 08:25 PM

[QUOTE=OurWorkbench;8389279]

Originally Posted by SarahDressmaker190 (Post 8389270)
...but I can’t get it to go to zero (the straight stitch). I’d appreciate any help! .../QUOTE]

I believe the red arrow point to the "lock knob" and the blue arrow is the "width dial." Can you loosen (counter-clockwise) the red arrow knob and then turn the blue knob (counter-clockwise, also) so that the flat part is parallel to the bed? I would think that you would need to tighten the knob again so that it only stitches straight. It is possible that there is some dried oil or lint that is blocking it to go where it needs to be to make straight stitch.

Attachment 625317

I'm not sure why the thread is tangling when reversing ZZ. I don't try to reverse ZZ unless I'm darning something and the machine I use to do that, I don't have a problem with.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

That worked like a charm! Thank you so much!
I thought I had read somewhere that some Japanese ZZs needed a separate foot for straight stitches (which did not come with my machine). I’m so happy it was such a simple fix!

OurWorkbench 05-31-2020 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by SarahDressmaker190 (Post 8389285)
That worked like a charm! Thank you so much!
I thought I had read somewhere that some Japanese ZZs needed a separate foot for straight stitches (which did not come with my machine). I’m so happy it was such a simple fix!

You are most welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

There are some machines that work better with a straight stitch foot and needle plate. Some are what are considered left homing machines. Those would need a special straight stitch foot and needle plate. One can tell if it is left homing by seeing where the needle comes down if set for straight stitching. If it comes down on the left side of the hole of the zigzag plate then it is considered a left homing machine.

Victoria Quinn 06-14-2020 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s my baby. Still need to get some accessories together, but the zig zag and zipper foot get me through most things. Been working on expanding the foot collection beyond the two and add a straight stitch plate to the arsenal.

OurWorkbench 06-14-2020 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome, Victoria. Nice looking machine. I have one similar, but takes cams. Have you noticed any J_A or
J_C numbers on yours? It looks like it is a high shank like my Miracle. Also does it have some letters like MZB or numbers like 231 on it?

Attachment 625726

Also, I'm curious what is the screen type thing that has legs/feet on the left of the machine?

Victoria Quinn 06-14-2020 08:06 PM

It is a model MZB, J-A-16. I'm assuming High Shank, from what I can tell. Measures 1" from the bed to the set screw.

Oh, ha ha ha... that is my cell phone stand. It's a FM radio/Bluetooth speaker. I can slide my cell phone in there and listen to music while I'm working on paperwork. It also looks pretty cool when you're watching videos. Just slide my iPhone in it and start a streaming. It will also answer calls hands free. The battery lasts forever! It is super cool on it own, but add the cell phone in there and it looks a million times better. I use it in the office, in the shop, and on camping trips.

OurWorkbench 06-15-2020 05:22 AM

Neat holder.

Do you have a manual? I found one at https://www.tardigradeoutdoors.com/b...sewing-machine That also has pictures of that person's machine and attachments that came with.

My Miracle is a JA 16, too. It also has a JC 2.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Victoria Quinn 06-15-2020 06:37 AM

I do have a user's manual. No Service Manual (but that's probably going to be an impossible task). I'd been just going through the machine with the "that can't be right" checks. Despite the lack of information, I've been able to fix the Drive Wheel Disengage, Timing, Thead Tensioner, Presser foot tensioner, and rewired the motor. I'm still looking for the "real replacement" drive belt. I am thinking maybe a 13 would get it done... I know the one that's on it is just way too long. My current project is the feed dogs. They operate just fine for normal, but don't drop for silk or darning settings... but she will eat projects like no one's business. I have a feeling that she's going to be getting a whole new wooden travel case shortly... I don't think I've owned a machine that felt this bullet proof, and it matches the paint on my 56 Nash Metropolitan. ;)

I've been trying to figure out what feet I can run with the left homing needle... that's pretty much a pain in the rear and quite difficult to see where the needle hole is and/or if the foot is designed as a zig zag from most websites. I did find a website in the UK that claims they have the presser feet for the MZB. And they did say they have the straight stitch foot, which is awesome. Just need to locate a new plate for straight stitch to go with it. I'd rather not go overseas to get them, but beggar's can't be choosers.

fattoo 06-29-2020 10:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey lovely humans, I poked through this thread but it's so long that I may have missed if this question was answered already - what to do with my machine that doesn't have a little screw to release the clutch wheel on the handwheel?

I'm stuck dismantling this machine since I can't figure out how to get the handwheel off.

Here are some pictures - there is a little peg that keeps the clutch wheel from unscrewing all the way - the peg will move back a little, but seems to be connected to a larger piece that keeps it from moving or coming off. It's not threaded/there is no head to unscrew.

Also took a video just in case that's helpful too! https://photos.app.goo.gl/aiAdTxvvYw75G88z7

Victoria Quinn 06-29-2020 10:46 AM

It kind of looks like you should be able to unscrew the chrome knob. It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks that there’s a catch to stop the pin. If I had to guess, I’d say either the pin or the catch are spring loaded so you can negotiate it past the stop (if that makes sense).