Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Machine with Blanket Stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-blanket-stitch-t207916.html)

lovelyl 12-08-2012 06:15 AM

Vintage Machine with Blanket Stitch?

I love machine applique and my favorite stitch is the blanket stitch. Is there a vintage machine that does the blanket stitch? I have a Singer 328, but none of the cams do a blanket stitch. I have been looking at plastic wonders just to get the blanket stitch, but would much rather have a vintage that does the same thing... Any suggestions?

Caroline S 12-08-2012 07:20 AM

I have an Elna SU Air Electronic purchased in the late 1970s. It came with a blanket stitch disc #150. I think that the disc will also work in the earlier Elna Supermatic also.

Candace 12-08-2012 09:20 AM

The problem with the vintage machines that do the buttonhole stitch using cams, is that they're not very adjustable. I use my new machines for doing buttonhole applique, because the vintage ones just can't get the exact depth of stitch and as close together as I'd like. This is one of the only functions that I prefer a new machine over a vintage one for. I make sure all my applique can withstand many years of washing and abuse, and I've never liked the product of the cam/buttonhole stitching in any of my cam machines.

Littlebearquiltingboard 12-08-2012 10:20 AM

I don't know if my suggestion is vintage enough but my 1968 Bernina Minimatic 707 has a blanket stitch.

Clare

MimiBug123 12-08-2012 09:40 PM

None of mine do. I use my Janome 10001 when I want to do a blanket stitch.

lovelyl 12-09-2012 06:13 AM

Thanks for all the comments! Clare, I will start looking for a Bernina Minimatic 707. I am guessing they may be hard to find... but the hunt is fun!
Thanks, all!
Linda

knitsew 12-09-2012 06:41 AM

The Husqvarna Viking 6000 series has cams for the blanket stitch and my Pfaff 1473 does the pretiest I know of. These are 80's machines so not truly Vintage but the Vikings are all mechanical.

Littlebearquiltingboard 12-09-2012 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 5707804)
Thanks for all the comments! Clare, I will start looking for a Bernina Minimatic 707. I am guessing they may be hard to find... but the hunt is fun!
Thanks, all!
Linda

Linda,

I am sure other Bernina models from the 1960's will also have blanket stitch so you won't be limited to the 707.

Happy hunting!

Clare

Craftycat 12-09-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 5705755)
I love machine applique and my favorite stitch is the blanket stitch. Is there a vintage machine that does the blanket stitch? I have a Singer 328, but none of the cams do a blanket stitch. I have been looking at plastic wonders just to get the blanket stitch, but would much rather have a vintage that does the same thing... Any suggestions?

I have a singer Futura Touch-Tronic 2001 memory machine.I got it early 1980's It has built in blanket stiches and many others(no cams) decorative stitches.It is also a slant needle machine.I love it.I have never had any trouble with it.Havent even changed the light bulb.So easy to change the stiches:thumbup: Will also chain stitch,and twin needle stitch

Littlebearquiltingboard 12-09-2012 07:58 AM

Linda,

My apologies, I have just got my Bernina out to test the blanket stitch and it turns out that it is not a blanket stitch after all. The little drawing on the stitch selector looks like blanket stitch but upon checking the manual I've found out it is actually a stretch stitch.

I am sorry for misleading you.

Clare