Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage machine that does a blanket stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-does-blanket-stitch-t272507.html)

amcatanzaro 11-23-2015 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 7385190)
Rodney has a thread somewhere about pictures of machines and the cams that go with them. I know, he hounded me to put mine up there.lol :)

That's the sizes of the cams and which machines they go with, I found that one. I skipped a lot of pages though.

I was thinking one just for the Kenmore cams with the part number and the stitch it does. There seems to be a LOT of them.

ArchaicArcane 11-23-2015 08:39 PM

That would be tough for me - I fix more than I sew, so I'd have to look up most stitch names! As it is, half the time I end up using stretch and utility stitches as decorative stitches. :o

purplefiend 11-24-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7384170)
The Bernina 930 Record owners manual does not list a blanket stitch per sae. The stitch it has that looks like the one pictured in the link is called the stretch stitch.

So for those that do use the Bernina 930 for blanket stitch, which stitch do you use? What number on the selector is it?

Joe

The Bernina 1031 has a stitch that kinda looks like a slanted blanket stitch. I used it for machine applique for years.
Sharon in Texas

Irishrose2 11-25-2015 06:56 PM

Elna cams 148, 150 and 152 (slanted) make a decent blanket looking stitch. I often use the built in blind hemmer and run the fabric through the machine with the bulk under the arm. It looks like a blanket stitch if you you aren't too particular. Miriam,I used it on raw edge applique by using Wonder Under first. The flowers on my daughter's quilt have not frayed and it gets heavy use and laundering. I'm using the built in blind hemmer now on fleece blankets and people are liking the slightly scalloped effect. I've also done scarves that way with good results.

amcatanzaro 11-25-2015 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7385265)
That would be tough for me - I fix more than I sew, so I'd have to look up most stitch names! As it is, half the time I end up using stretch and utility stitches as decorative stitches. :o

Isn't there a ducks one? I could identify that one.

ArchaicArcane 11-25-2015 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro (Post 7387113)
Isn't there a ducks one? I could identify that one.

And the dog one! ;) Though I'm out of luck if they were specific about breed...

IrishRose2, I will keep an eye out for an elna then. I do like their stitches once they're cleaned up and properly maintained.

miriam 11-25-2015 09:59 PM

And the boat one

Cari-in-Oly 11-25-2015 10:28 PM

Okay I'll play. I can't remember what machine it is but there is one that has a cam that makes a rat or mouse.

Cari

J Miller 11-26-2015 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 7385933)
The Bernina 1031 has a stitch that kinda looks like a slanted blanket stitch. I used it for machine applique for years.
Sharon in Texas

Sharon,

The 930 has that one too. We'll probably give it a try.

Joe

Mickey2 11-26-2015 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 7385265)
...half the time I end up using stretch and utility stitches as decorative stitches. :o

A nice satin stitch zigzag often as good as any ;- )