Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Morse Fotomatic IV Sew Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-morse-fotomatic-iv-sew-machine-t222856.html)

Marysewfun 06-02-2013 06:48 PM

Vintage Morse Fotomatic IV Sew Machine

We just came upon a beautiful Morse Fotomatic IV sewing machine (believe it is 1967) and other than a demo video, haven't been able to find much of anything on it - anyone know of them? A manual came with it but it is not model specific and any info relating to them say they all operate pretty much the same. I have some questions if anyone is familiar with them. Thank you.

Marysewfun

mermaid 06-03-2013 02:40 AM

You should post your ?? in the "vintage machines" section, and I betcha there would be lots of responses.

Candace 06-04-2013 07:18 AM

What are the questions?

J Miller 06-04-2013 08:05 AM

Marysewfun,

Lot of us here have Moorse Photomatics. ( Not me though .... :( ) I think you need to ask what you need to know and then post us pics of your Moorse. We are photo fanatics :D.

Joe

catmcclure 06-04-2013 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun (Post 6100416)
We just came upon a beautiful Morse Fotomatic IV sewing machine (believe it is 1967) and other than a demo video, haven't been able to find much of anything on it - anyone know of them? A manual came with it but it is not model specific and any info relating to them say they all operate pretty much the same. I have some questions if anyone is familiar with them. Thank you.

Marysewfun

I have two. One was a freebie from Freecycle, and the other I got for $30 at a resale shop. The manual I have was very specific.

Marysewfun 06-04-2013 08:43 AM

Well, first off - is there an on/off switch? And before you die laughing, let me continue. :-) We plugged it in and suddenly it had life of its own - - it took off like at full throttle and the only way to shut it off was to pull the plug. I turned the plugs around thinking maybe a polar problem - but still the same. Anybody have an idea? We checked the foot peddle and it seems to be okay (not stuck that we can see), I played with several settings while reading the manual that came with it (not model specific but says it covers basic operations of all of them) but I don't think there is anything in that which would cause the motor to apparently race. We got it at Goodwill and it is in beautiful condition, nice enough to put on a table in the corner of the dining room to use. Any ideas of where to start looking? Thank you.

Marysewfun

Marysewfun 06-04-2013 08:49 AM

PS - I'll try to upload a picture as soon as I figure out how.

Marysewfun

J Miller 06-04-2013 11:04 AM

Marysewfun,

Sounds like you have a bad foot controller. Do you have another machine with a cord block and controller you could try it on?

Joe

Mizkaki 06-04-2013 11:58 AM

Marysewfun'

Check to see if the motor plug is in fact in the motor outlet of the terminal/ cord block. If it is plugged into the light outlet the motor will run full time.

Cathy

SteveH 06-04-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 6103906)
Marysewfun' Check to see if the motor plug is in fact in the motor outlet of the terminal/ cord block. If it is plugged into the light outlet the motor will run full time. Cathy

Exactly what I was going to type.... I have done this "oops" more than once...