Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 04-27-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy, what a great idea. I will be looking forward to this shop each morning. I drink tea though.

I will try to post pictures later today. My sweet hubby drove me 3.5 hours north of our place to purchase a Featherweight. We went back 2 days later to get some specialty wood at the same home and I purchased 2 handcranks. One is a Jones Hand Machine as presented to HRH the Princess of Whales and the other is a Collier's No. 4. I found quite a bit of history on the Jones but am having trouble locating info on the Collier's. Found info on the Collier's No. 3. I just want more and haven't figured out exactly where else to go.

Try this link out, it is to the Smithsonian website just for sewing machines. They have a lot of factory documents, memos, advertisements, and manuals.

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...wing-Machines/

I will look around and see what I can come up with but it sounds like you have a great hubby and some wonderful machines!

Billy

Lostn51 04-27-2010 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Now I have a question. I want to take her in for a checkup and have her nether regions cleaned and oiled. I got the head out of the cabinet with no problems but I can't figure out how to remove the foot control. In picture 2 you can see the hole where the cord runs through that small hole in the side of the machine bed. What do I do next?? Help

I would leave the pedal on the machine, the repair guy is going to need it to test the machine and make sure everything is dialed in. Also he might need to replace the wiring somewhere.

But you will have to undo the wires either at the pedal or the plug what ever it takes to get it out of the hole.

Billy

Lostn51 04-27-2010 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by sewred
Billy i don't know if you want to see all the machines i have ! I have about 15 or 16. I have a Kenmore, White, Rex, A Vogue-stitch, a Singer serger, and a Brother ( but we won't talk about that one i don't like it !) The rest are vintage Singers From 1910-1950's and 60's! Plus my husband does upholstery and has a Consew 225, 226, and a 226 Long Arm which is 36 inches long! He also has a Juki LU 562, and his dad's Singer 111w-155 from 1950. We like sewing machines can you tell! hee hee!

Yes please post them!!

We have lots of room here in the shop for machines!!! :D :D :D

Billy

OLDNTATTED 04-27-2010 03:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I showed you picks of my two old machines a few weeks ago. So I am glad you started this up. Maybe someone can identify the one (made in japan) I drink my coffiee black, and I'll bring my own stool.

Singer model 99-13w/ accesories
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13973[/ATTACH]

book for the singer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13974[/ATTACH]

I have no idea about this one says Made in Japan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13975[/ATTACH]

Lostn51 04-27-2010 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Linda, can't wait to see your photos!! I've heard of a Jones, but not a Collier!

Collier #4 is a Jones machine that was badged and sold by the London company of J. Collier. So go look at the Jones section of the Smithsonian and you should find some information or hop on the NeedleBar.org and register if you are not a member yet. Lots of good information on that site about the Jones/Collier machines.

Billy

EC 04-27-2010 03:27 PM

Billy, so glad you opened up shop! I have two treadles, a Featherweight and an older Elna, as well as the two Elnas I use now. Didn't know too much about my treadles until I joined this site at the beginning of the year, except that I love sewing on them and my DH keeps them running pretty well. Have recently moved and neither one has come over to the house yet. Hopefully they will arrive soon. It will be much easier to review the wealth of information all of you provide now that it will be in one place. Keep up the good work. Elaine

Glenn 04-27-2010 03:27 PM

Your machines are wonderful. The restoration project will be tough. There are woodworking cat. on the web to get veneer for repairs to cabinet and it is not to hard to do. You will have fun with this one it just takes time. I restore antiques and really like to work on these things that seem to be impossible to repair. Glenn

Glenn 04-27-2010 03:31 PM

Referring to Charlee's fire damaged machine Glenn

Glenn 04-27-2010 03:34 PM

I found a binder foot for my 66 but they want $40 for it. Is this to much. Glenn

gmafrog 04-27-2010 03:39 PM

I have a hand-crank that lives in our camper thru the summer. We camp in the boonies and no electricity. I entered a quilt in the fair that I had pieced on this machine and won a blue ribbon on it. Love this machine!!!!