Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

juneayerza 04-27-2010 04:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to quilting and I'm teaching myself through online tutorials and books. I've seen a lot of you talking about using an old treddle machhine for your quilt tops. I have a treddle which was my late MIL's, but it needs a fair amount of restoration. Before I spend, can you please tell me the advantage of using the treddle and what kind of work you use it for.

Thanks All

Nancy O. 04-27-2010 04:28 PM

I am so glad to see your shop. I have a Singer machine I will need some help with soon. I need to do pics first to send. Great place Billy.

Glenn 04-27-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to quilting and I'm teaching myself through online tutorials and books. I've seen a lot of you talking about using an old treddle machhine for your quilt tops. I have a treddle which was my late MIL's, but it needs a fair amount of restoration. Before I spend, can you please tell me the advantage of using the treddle and what kind of work you use it for.

Thanks All

Welcome to the shop, Please post some pictures. Billy and charlee can help Glenn

sewred 04-27-2010 05:03 PM

I will try to take pics in a few days . right now i am in the process of helping hubby move our upholstery shop to a new building we are now going to be official business owners
with our own building! Whoo hoo! Wish us luck!

Lostn51 04-27-2010 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by juneayerza
Hello Everyone,

Thanks All

I do it all on a treadle from the tops to doing the FMQ and the binding! I have a central treadle mounted under a bench that when the leaf is in place it is 36x140 work surface. I also have different plates that I can put in the central hole and use different machines.

The advantage in my own opinion is that you have a piece of living history in your hands and somehow you can see and feel the love that was put into it. For me its like I stepped back into time and I am back in the golden age of the sewing machine. Everything stops for me and I am in another world listening to the little squeaks and clunks of the treadle, and the sound of the machine as its running. Time stands still!!

Billy

My studio when I first got it operational
[ATTACH=CONFIG]15091[/ATTACH]

Lostn51 04-27-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy O.
I am so glad to see your shop. I have a Singer machine I will need some help with soon. I need to do pics first to send. Great place Billy.

You are welcome anytime!! And we even have coffee cake and I brought in some Grey Earl Tea for the folks that like their "Spot of Tea"!!! (with cream of course :D )

I will try to take pics in a few days . right now i am in the process of helping hubby move our upholstery shop to a new building we are now going to be official business owners
with our own building! Whoo hoo! Wish us luck!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

I imagine that we will have a few here in our shop that will need some upholstery work before its over with. And who knows we might even work on a few industrials while we are here.

Billy

Lostn51 04-27-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by OLDNTATTED
I showed you picks of my two old machines a few weeks ago. So I am glad you started this up. Maybe someone can identify the one (made in japan) I drink my coffiee black, and I'll bring my own stool.

Oh man this is the second one of these I have seen!! You lucky devil!!!

I want you to take the face plate off of your machine and see if it has an "SK" behind it. Just loosen the top screw and it should slide up and pop right off. There are only three possible manufacturers for this machine Koyo, Koyo-Seiko or S.K. Sharma and Sons depending on the year and I am going with Koyo because of it looking like an early model.

They were the ones that badged my Universal 15 that I have in my shop. Except mine was manufactured by Koyo-Seiko.

You have one of a very few that left the factory not badged, why they left like this it is only speculation but I am suspecting that it could have been a sales model that was sent around to whom ever they were trying to sell them to. Take very good care of it because you have a rare machine!!!!

(if you look up to the photo of my studio my Universal 15 is in the treadle)

Billy

Charlee 04-27-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by julroc
I have a Model 66 that I bought for $50.00 and I just bought another one ($100.00) but don't know which model it is. It came with all the attachments and is in excellent condition but no book. Do you know where I can find out what machine I have and if there are instruction manuals out there.

Hi Julroc!

Good buy on the 66! Is the new machine a Singer? Do you have pictures of it? If it's a Singer, can you share the serial number?
There are several places to find manuals... I like looking at Needlebar first...then the Smithsonian has a website that has a lot of the old manuals...Some are available from Singer's website...

Lostn51 04-27-2010 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
There are several places to find manuals... I like looking at Needlebar first...then the Smithsonian has a website that has a lot of the old manuals...Some are available from Singer's website...

Singer has almost all of them tucked away in their archives you just have to know where to look! :mrgreen:

Here is the "Secret link"

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Dont tell them I told you guys......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 04-27-2010 07:16 PM

Hey, locked myself out of needlebar.org somehow. When i click 'forgot' my password it says I am not authorized to reset my password. Anyone know how to get past that? Yikes!