Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 04-23-2011 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[quote=mpeters1200]My FMQ is really crappy, so it certainly isn't something I'm going to be playing with on anything larger than a baby quilt at this point. I don't know what a 15 is. I could probably google them. I am very interested in straight line quilting and that was the sole purpose of looking for a bigger machine.

I go and pick her up on Tuesday. I could NOT resist stopping in today to take some pictures of her. The shop even gave me the manual. She is a 66-16. Her serial # is AL887630. The machine shop had a book on singers and the serial number looks like it was manufactured in 1954. I don't know any of the online resources to research that.

Here she is. I'm so excited! I have an appointment on Tuesday for my lessons. I have 2 1/2 hours after work before I have to pick up the kids from school. He asked me to make a list of the things I want to learn, and if anything isn't already on the list of things he teaches every new person, he'll teach me those too. I can hardly contain myself!

Here's a picture of my Singer15-90.
Sharon W.

mpeters1200 04-23-2011 05:06 PM

Well now I know what one looks like. Are they always treadles?

okiepastor 04-23-2011 05:09 PM

[quote Love my 306!! Just keep in mind they take a different size needle; a 206 x 13.[/quote]

I saw that when I went to the Singer list--have no clue where to get that size......do not have any in my needle stash--I just looked. Will check with the Singer dealer in Alva, but do not have much hope they have them.

Anyone have a source?
She is still out in the car--hubby was too tired to bring her in, and I cannot lift her.Wish I could remember what her other nos. were--there are quite a few 306 K models.....oh, well, tomorrow sometime after church I can look.

Miz Johnny 04-23-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
[quote Love my 306!! Just keep in mind they take a different size needle; a 206 x 13.

I saw that when I went to the Singer list--have no clue where to get that size......do not have any in my needle stash--I just looked. Will check with the Singer dealer in Alva, but do not have much hope they have them.

Anyone have a source?
[/quote]

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp15221.html

Glenn 04-23-2011 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Judy and Irishrose here are pics of the 128. What is meant by backslide? Thanks Glenn

emmah 04-23-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Judy and Irishrose here are pics of the 128. What is meant by backslide? Thanks Glenn

Black side--all the parts that are usually chrome on a Singer were during wartime not chrome--but black, like the parts on yours! Some of the feet and attachments were black also.

Glenn 04-23-2011 05:55 PM

Miz Johnny do you know anything about this 128(May1941) Judy and Irishrose said it might be a backslide. I don't know what a backslide is. I only know about treadles since I do not use electrics but people keep giving me these machines because I collect vintage sewing machines. I keep telling them only nonelectric please. As you can see they keep finding me anway :lol: Glenn

Glenn 04-23-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by emmah

Originally Posted by Glenn

Black side--all the parts that are usually chrome on a Singer were during wartime not chrome--but black, like the parts on yours! Some of the feet and attachments were black also.

Thank you Emmah, now I know.Black(not back). Now I get it. Sometimes I am alittle slow. Glenn

Crossstitcher 04-23-2011 06:35 PM

Glen, we changed a 128 into a hand crank and it works great. It's also a black side.
Nice machine you have.

irishrose 04-23-2011 06:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Glenn, are you sure that machine is brown or a very dirty black? It does look at lot like mine from 1952, but little Mamie is definitely black. Both of ours have the Godzilla finish. I find that name humorous for a 3/4 size machine. She doesn't look as bad as this picture. I have wiped her off.

1952 Singer 128
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188280[/ATTACH]