Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cherrybsixty 05-16-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Hi everyone, My 'pillque' (computer) went down about three weeks ago, and it took me a little while to get up and running again. It has taken me two weeks to get caught up with you guys and dolls. First, may I send out my condolences to all who have endures losses of love one's. May I send blessing to who have made it through the storms, fires, and floodings. May I send congrats to all who have obtain new acquired ladies. May I wish everyone a belated 'Mother's day. I thank all of you for the very much welcome shared knowledge concerning these percious ladies. And last, I'd like to share I have acquired two ancient beauties of my own. One an ancient hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted QULIT. The other is a FW. I know, you want to see pictures. I have to take pics, first and then I can post them. Oh yea, the quilt may be 60 to 80 years old. The speciality cleaners is quessing that age, because of the fabric that it is made with. Let me say good blessings to all.

Congrats on your finds! I would love to see pictures of the quilt. Please post!

Monica, I really got to post the Quilt, it's a long story and I've told it before in the 'Main' section. I'll get my DGD to help me post pics.

cherrybsixty 05-16-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Hi everyone, My 'pillque' (computer) went down about three weeks ago, and it took me a little while to get up and running again. It has taken me two weeks to get caught up with you guys and dolls. First, may I send out my condolences to all who have endures losses of love one's. May I send blessing to who have made it through the storms, fires, and floodings. May I send congrats to all who have obtain new acquired ladies. May I wish everyone a belated 'Mother's day. I thank all of you for the very much welcome shared knowledge concerning these percious ladies. And last, I'd like to share I have acquired two ancient beauties of my own. One an ancient hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted QULIT. The other is a FW. I know, you want to see pictures. I have to take pics, first and then I can post them. Oh yea, the quilt may be 60 to 80 years old. The speciality cleaners is quessing that age, because of the fabric that it is made with. Let me say good blessings to all.

Cherry, I can't wait to see pictures of the quilt! Congratulations on the new featherweight! What year is your FW? So glad you are back with us!

Nancy

Thanks, I never go anywhere, mostly sitting around here reading what you all are posting. But, I miss that when I can't. Once again, sorry for your loss. The FW, my daughter pick up in Georgia for me. She hasn't emailed or FB the pics to yet.

tomilu 05-16-2011 06:20 AM

Naomi and I have gotten five lap quilt tops ready to finish for the vet center--and I have now made over 200 9P blocks from vintage for the family memory quilts. Naomi is in daily use---and we will be FMQ on her soon! I wanted her for her toughness and ease of maintenance! Love my Vikings, but they are NOT easy to work on![/quote]

DH. myself and the granddaughter (Gabby) are going to see Mary today. There are many baby animals at Mary's so Gabby should be happy to see them. It's always a treat to see Mary.

jtapp9 05-16-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

you could order a service manual on line for about $10- it has how to do the spring

I have looked for a service manual and the only ones I could find were around $30 so I figured it would be just a cheap to have my sewing repair guy just put the spring in since I have the spring. Where are they $10?

Nancy

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm
sorry it was $12

miriam this says it is an Instruction Manual. That's not the same as a Service Manual is it? I already got the free download so I just hate to be buying the same thing.

And thank you for all the advice and help. I appreciate it. I did take the handwheel off and turn over that metal spacer. I remember reading that somewhere else so tried it first :). I'll work on it again tonight after work.

I'm also working on trying to get the tension just right on the 301! I think I'm loving this tan one almost as much as the black one ;)

mpeters1200 05-16-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

m
There are different types of cams for different machines.
Photo of flat cams for my 328k and a photo of the Singer 328k in treadle.

So those are cams. The machine has to have those to make decorative stitches right? How do they work? Having one on, does it somehow change how and when the needle comes down to create the stitches? While those are super neat and I've not seen them before, they would seem to make a machine really complicated to use.

Thanks for posting pictures. It was hard to picture in my head what those look like. The light bulb went on and I understood!

My mom sewed all our clothes for as long as she could. She would skim through penny's and ward's catalogues and pick things for us. We got to pick one or two things we liked. Then, we'd come in from playing one day and the clothes would be on our beds to put away. I had no idea that she made them, especially without a pattern, until much, much later. I only have a couple memories of when she had the machine out.

I posted picture of where the cams get positioned in the machine. The cams sit on disc spindle under the large silver thumb screw. You can find a Singer 328 manual online that has directions for using the cams.

My mom mainly made her own clothes, but from time to time she would make a dress or coat for others. She made me a beautiful navy blue wool coat when I was around six. I loved that coat! I wish she had kept it, but she donated it to a child who needed a warm coat after I had outgrown the coat. At least the coat served a better purpose than sitting in a box waiting for me to open it every 10 years to admire, it kept a child warm. And the beautiful Necchi machine went off to a woman that needed a sewing machine when my mom decided she wanted her Bernina 830, some 30 years ago.

Your mom sounds very special. She left you with wonderful memories. Now, you can make wonderful quilts with your vintage machines for your children. And maybe leave a vintage machine for one of them.:)

That does help my understanding of where they are in the machine. After reading the post with directions on how to insert and change them, they still seem really complicated to me. Beautiful stitching though! I really look forward to using my machine more. I did discover that circular pieces are much easier to stitch on the 66 than the Janome. I made a flower pin cushion and needed to sew together a couple circles. Stitched so well on the 66 I should have done that first!

Mom stopped sewing before she stopped doing everything else. It was one of the first things she couldn't do anymore. I know she saw a quilt or two I made, but I don't think she could see the detail in the stitching or quilting at all. Her eyes were bad and I don't know how well she could see with her glasses.

miriam 05-16-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9

you could order a service manual on line for about $10- it has how to do the spring

I have looked for a service manual and the only ones I could find were around $30 so I figured it would be just a cheap to have my sewing repair guy just put the spring in since I have the spring. Where are they $10?

Nancy

http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...ion_Manual.htm
sorry it was $12

miriam this says it is an Instruction Manual. That's not the same as a Service Manual is it? I already got the free download so I just hate to be buying the same thing.

OOPS I think I got that link wrong. A service manual and an operator's are NOT the same - you are correct. The operator's manual is how to operate the machine - you can find those free to print out. The SERVICE manual is how to repair or service the machine - those usually aren't free - worth the money though. I sent a link a few pages back. I'll look it up again - it WAS WRONG - that WAS an operators manual - get the free one!

You want a SERVICE MANUAL for a Singer 401 or 500. The bobbin winder is going to be different though. The 403 and the 503 are close to the same but don't have the cam stack - so the manual will work for them as well. I'm pretty sure I paid $10 or $12 for mine. It was VERY helpful if you can read a service manual - DH helps - he's used to car repair manuals.

I don't have anything to do with these but they are helpful sites: http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
he DOES have REPAIR manuals for $12 - you print. He has a lot of info on his various pages.

Never dealt with this one but here's another place to get a manual - http://sewingmachinemanuals.ecrater....ce-and-repair#

http://www.sew-classic.com/ Book mark this one!!! Jenny has a LOT of info on the 400 & 500 series machines - she sells stuff for the vintage machines - she's quick and she has fair prices - I think she only posts what she has in stock - no waiting for it to get there. I don't know if she has repair manuals for sale. I think the bobbins I got from her are better than the ones I bought in the store. She has LOTS of info - her site is an all day read.

SewExtremeSeams 05-16-2011 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know about the Singer 185J or have one? I would like to learn more about it. My understanding is they are similar to the Singer 99. :-D

Singer 185J
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197864[/ATTACH]

miriam 05-16-2011 09:30 AM

PAY DIRT!!!!! IT'S FFFFFRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Here is a site with FREE SERVICE MANUALS!!!!! The 401 is page 124 of a very long pdf!!! It is the same thing I got for $10 or $12 some where on line There are manuals of all kinds. I'm book marking this page for myself!

http://sewing-machines.blogspot.com/...e-manuals.html

vintagemotif 05-16-2011 09:42 AM

Congrats on your finds! I would love to see pictures of the quilt. Please post!

Monica, I really got to post the Quilt, it's a long story and I've told it before in the 'Main' section. I'll get my DGD to help me post pics.

Is this the quilt that some guy was going to trash, but you rescued? A quilt from early 1900s? I would love to see this quilt!

jtapp9 05-16-2011 10:42 AM

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/c...VICE%20MANUAL/

I found that when searching for the singer 500 service manual.

It is jpg (photo) files but you can expand each page and print it or save it to file. :)