Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

irishrose 05-19-2011 02:08 PM

Deara, those are nice looking machines. I'm semi looking for a Rocketeer, but I don't need one. I like the table for the 301.

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?

Glenn 05-19-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn
Hi fellow collectors of vintage machines, remember several weeks ago I posted pics of a very dirty blackside that was given to me with the case painted in an antique red. Well I did some work on the case and cleaned it up to match the cleaned machine. Here is some before and after pics of the case. Glenn

Glenn you do such great work! I want to see pictures after you stencil the 'Singer' on too! Those blacksides are so neat looking, but it is so hard to find slide plates if one is missing - in the black that is! Does anyone have a blackside with all the black parts in tack?

Nancy

Mine has all the black parts in tack, glenn

Glenn 05-19-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Glenn
Jan I will do that but after all the storm clean up my wife and I are going camping for a week, leaving on Friday and will post when I get back. Just need to get away and rest. Glenn

Ohhhhhh that sounds so nice! Are you really camping or do you take a trailer/motor home? The trailer/motor home sounds wonderful, but real camping is so much work! All the packing and unpacking, but I have taken my granddaughters on a real camping trip with horses (because I have to pull a horse trailer no room for a travel trailer) and we had so much fun putting up the tent, roughing it, and riding all day!

Nancy

No Nancy we have a 26 foot tow behind with all the good stuff. Flat screen TV, airconditioning, full kitchen and bath. We camped all over Europe in a tent but we will never do that again. Glenn

miriam 05-19-2011 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I am looking at a Montgomery Ward Sewing Machine Model 30 to purchase for my grandkids. It looks like a work horse and indestructible. Anyone have one?

I had one of those - it was a Montgomery Ward - not sure what model though. The machine was out in the screened porch - I was working on it - learned a lot - got it almost working, too. Then someone threw it through the patio glass and broke in my house. The poor machine was ruined - it landed on the balance wheel - hard - snapped it off. I might have the attachments somewhere - it came in the most beautiful cabinet - I still have it... anybody want it - only fits the old Montgomery Ward???

Grandmother23 05-19-2011 03:27 PM

Inquiring mind wants to know. Which make/model machines uses the boat shuttle? I will keep an eye out for one, but a heads up is nice. :mrgreen:

Glenn 05-19-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon

The locking hardware looks good but do need some wood and veneer repair. The left plate has been broken and needs to be replaced. Now where to find one is another thing. I will do some research and see what I can find. Billy may have a source. The top is okay except for the wood repairs. I have seen empty cases for sale on Ebay. Let me seed what I can do. Glenn
Thanks a bunch Glenn. I was thinking if all else fails, I can have latch type closures put on it.

Sharon

I don't have a key for my bentwood case for my 1928 99, and I was thinking of putting those latch type closers on mine. I am a little leery of trying to pick up that heavy machine by the handle of the case. I'm afraid it will break the original locks! Those little machines are like lead weights!! :-)

A small screw driver(flat head) will open the lock. The handle will hold the machine. You can reinforce the handle with a support inside the the top of the case. Glenn

Glenn 05-19-2011 03:37 PM

I have never had any problem with the original hardware not holding the machine, but you can put latch style locks on the outside of the case. If you do I recomend that you put two on each end evenly spaced. Glenn

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

I had one of those - it was a Montgomery Ward - not sure what model though. The machine was out in the screened porch - I was working on it - learned a lot - got it almost working, too. Then someone threw it through the patio glass and broke in my house. The poor machine was ruined - it landed on the balance wheel - hard - snapped it off. I might have the attachments somewhere - it came in the most beautiful cabinet - I still have it... anybody want it - only fits the old Montgomery Ward???

:shock: :shock: Shaking my head in disbelief... a double insult, for sure. Miriam, did you think it was a pretty strong machine? I notice it doesn't have a lot exposed in terms of dials, etc. So sorry for your intrusion and loss of a machine that you almost had working. :-(

Glenn 05-19-2011 03:47 PM

Charlee, I am glad you are posting again. I missed your wonderful input. You were always so uplifting and added a lot to this VSMS. Glenn