Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

shnnn 05-24-2011 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by shnnn

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
This is nutz, this new addiction.

I fully understand this! It got me too!

And just think I helped you all with it! ;)

Billy

My husband thought he was smart talking me into buying an old Singer instead of a new $1000 machine.... My 3rd functional machine in 5 months should be here tomorrow... and I have 2 very sad specimens soaking in the garage right now. On a positive note though I will likely run out of hidey holes for machines before I hit that $1000

BoJangles 05-24-2011 07:45 AM

Has anyone heard from Miz Johnny? I am worried about her, she hasn't posted for some time.

Nancy

jan on 446 05-24-2011 08:18 AM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=Honchey][quote=miriam][quote=vintagemotif]I feel very sorry for those that learned to sew on a Singer 758 Touch and Sew. These machines are a piece of crap, at least the free one that my neighbor gave me the other day is. I got it to sew after a long time of playing with it, then I tested to see if the bobbin worked and after that I can't for the life of me get

I had a T&S for many years. I think I got it in the early 70's. It was the best machine I ever had. I am still sorry that I traded it in for a new Janome MC 3500, which I am just now learning to use it's features, after 11 years. I had every attachment for it. I loved the Professional Buttonhole maker. I got a good one from what I am reading about the T&S's here. I wish some good company would make the self winding bobbin like the T&S did. That was so handy.
I am on the lookout for a good electric all metal machine. I am leaning towards Rocketeer, or maybe a Japan clone. Any suggestions? Yes, I know those are "true vintage" but they are built so much better. I do have two treadle machines in cabinets and haven't had the time to clean them up etc. One is a Singer H-15 (I think) and the other is a "the Free #5. Both sets of decals are in wonderful shape. I hope to be able to start working on them this summer.
Jan on 446

jan on 446 05-24-2011 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I meant to write "I know those machines are not true vintage"... sometimes my fingers don't catch up with my pea brain!
Jan on 446

Kathie S. 05-24-2011 09:04 AM

And a 20 something hour drive for me!!

Billy[/quote]

Billy your are still just a kid so your are up to it. See you soon. Kathie

Mornigstar 05-24-2011 09:25 AM

Re; jtapp9 and your cover plate
I am putting together my treadle today after refinishing the cabinet. Wouldn't put thread /fabric on it until all was
clean. Have some extras and one is a cover plate so let me know size and shape after you get machine.

Would prefer to hand deliver but live in Canada so will have to mail if it fits.

jljack 05-24-2011 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn

Originally Posted by jljack
My new Brother machine does all that fancy stuff, though, so....DH is probably going to nix the "buy another machine" idea. He already doesn't understand why I "need" the 5 I have!! LOL

My husband asked me why I "need" a 3/4 size machine, (hadn't yet told him I want one that does the decorative stitches too) - said something about how I can only use one at a time anyway. I reminded him he can only drive one truck at a time - and since he just bought another one... I figure his trucks cost 20x what my machines do - and take up a whole lot more space.

Hahahaha!!! Exactly my point!~! His toys are multiples, and take up tons more space than my machines. I heard a good one from another board member. Her DH asked why she has so many pairs of scissors. She replied, "How many screwdrivers do you have?" He just looked at her, turned and walked away. LOL

jljack 05-24-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Anne I think most of the thread cutters were blackside finish but I may be wrong. There is a member here that has a 15 that is a Blackside.

Billy

I had this weird triangular shaped thing on the back of the piece that holds the needle in on my 66. Is it a thread cutter or is it just there for some type of decoration?

Thread cutter!

laura59 05-24-2011 10:46 AM

Laura59, I don't know if the FW has the same type of paint as the 301, but I had to clean my tan 301 with Oxyclean. The machine was even colored, but yellowish and didn't feel clean. It was layered with that grungy yellow-tan coating that heavy smokers leave behind. It's very clean now and the small part I waxed looks good. I didn't wax it all yet because there are few more things I want to do with it first.[/quote]

I will give the Oxyclean a try. The GoJo just isn't doing it. Thank you.

jljack 05-24-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm

That is a wonderful quilt to honor that young man's achievement! And you did it all on treadles....extra special!! :-)