Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

fabric whisperer 05-27-2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
The young lady riding the horse is in her 20's - her father passed away just 24 days before this performance. She can't hear, nor can she speak. No bridle, no saddle... all commands are by touch only.

Holy cats, the love between her and that gorgeous beast is tremendous. I was in tears :thumbup:

Nanamoms 05-27-2011 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I was just watching Fox News and they were showing the damage in Joplin Mo. and the home of an 89 year old women. There was not a wall left in the entire house but then they showed an old Singer treadle standing right where it had always been. Even the worst storm in decades couldn't take out the old girl. I bet you could probably just sit down and sew w/out it missing a beet.

Oh MarieM, I saw that on Fox, too and actually posted here. Somehow my eye was drawn to that cabinet even before the newscaster pointed it out! Hope the little old lady is found to be alive so she can sew on it again!! That Singer was sitting perfectly on the wooden floor (he said) like it was exactly where it had been!

vintagemotif 05-27-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have to say that those Kenmores are the ugliest machines I have ever seen. I see them ever so often on CLs, and I just chuckle at the prices that some want for them. But if the machine works and produces a pretty stitch then that is all that matters.

I'm satisfied with its "tank" appearance ~ that one is for my 11 year old son :) he designed and did his first quilt at age 7 (took him a year until I did the final quilting on it)... now he wants to help make charity quilts. Sis has her very own machine, I think he was a little jealous... even tho he knows I'll help him craft any time :) he was thrilled when this came home! and the fact that it looks a little "manly" compared to the vintage singers works soooo in my favor of getting him to sew!
EDIT: he just informed me that before he can make a quilt on "his" machine (LOL) he wants to make a stuffed animal first. Though you'd all get a chuckle outta that, after all it is his!

Way cool! I love this story. So happy to read that he likes to sew quilts and for charity too. Well, this would be a "manly" looking machine. Good for him! Tell him to enjoy!

Nanamoms 05-27-2011 08:55 PM

[quote=fabric whisperer][quote=BoJangles][quote=fabric whisperer] My first question is, HOW do you get rid of the musty smell from the case? OMG its strong, but don't see mildew growing. HELP! I gotta save her!

Try putting a open or punctured box of baking soda in the case and closing it tightly...leave it in the sun or outside (protected of course) for a couple of days. Baking Soda is suppose to take out all musty smells. I'm working on a case now so hope it still works like I've read. Really check for the mold/mildew...if you find any, use bleach diluted with water...it kills the spores. Just be careful not to "bleach" the color!

Nanamoms 05-27-2011 09:06 PM

Today I received my 221 that I purchased from a member of the QB. Boy, was I stressing. The UPS man showed up at 6:00pm. I told him he was "late"! LOL

Anyway, I opened the box and just looked at the tiny case; then I opened it and pulled out that pretty lady!!! Aaahhh!! So, I set her up and finally figured out how to thread her (some tricky little thingies to go thru) and sewed a seam....I'M IN LOVE! Haven't had time to take a pic but I will...have to get ready to go out of town for weekend :(...can't play with her much until Monday!!

I'm a happy girl tonite!!

LAQUITA 05-27-2011 09:11 PM

Vintage machine help needed please:
I found these few on our local craigslist would like to know 'if you would purchase one of these' thanks.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/atq/2383283637.html
no further info on this one yet
this one is still availabe for $50.00

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/atq/2325344346.html

Since I am not as well 'versed' in these vintage SM i was hoping some of youcould help direct me to the better of the two, or if I should purchase either one of them at all.?

Is there something I should or should not be looking for in either of these? I am mainly wanting one (b/c yall brag on them so much that I wanted one too! :) aLSO ONE THAT MASKES GOOD STITCHES FOR PIECING.
thanks everyone for the help, in advance!
Yall are greAt!

SewExtremeSeams 05-27-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Guess what I got today? A tan Singer 301A with oodles of attachments, a desk it fits into and some extra bonus attachments. I am in the process of researching the attachments to see what I actually have. The machine has to be thoroughly cleaned though because it has been living with a smoker.

OK, to begin with what is the safest thing to soak the attachments in? Don't know if I will be able to get the odor out of all of the original boxes and manuals but hope so. I am so excited to get it cleaned up so I can sew, sew, sew! Got the zigzagger attachment too! Whoo hoo... :-D

Trust me... photos will follow as soon as I get her cleaned up. Might even name this one. Not normally my habit to. :-D

Hi Linda, it's Linda! Guess what I just paid for? A Singer 301, black, from someone here on the QMB!!! I just fell in love with it, isn't that crazy????? She is going to ship it to me on Tuesday...

Cool, Linda of the West! Where is it being shipped from?

I spent most of today GoJoing my 301 and all of the attachments, buttonholer, and other stuff. Not sure if I will get her desk done tomorrow. Lots and lots of smoke odor on all of it. GoJo sure did the trick. Hopefully I will get pictures loaded on here by tomorrow.

Hugs... from Linda of the East! :-D

SewExtremeSeams 05-27-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have to say that those Kenmores are the ugliest machines I have ever seen. I see them ever so often on CLs, and I just chuckle at the prices that some want for them. But if the machine works and produces a pretty stitch then that is all that matters.

I'm satisfied with its "tank" appearance ~ that one is for my 11 year old son :) he designed and did his first quilt at age 7 (took him a year until I did the final quilting on it)... now he wants to help make charity quilts. Sis has her very own machine, I think he was a little jealous... even tho he knows I'll help him craft any time :) he was thrilled when this came home! and the fact that it looks a little "manly" compared to the vintage singers works soooo in my favor of getting him to sew!
EDIT: he just informed me that before he can make a quilt on "his" machine (LOL) he wants to make a stuffed animal first. Though you'd all get a chuckle outta that, after all it is his!

Great. I am so happy that you bought machines for each of your kids. I have been searching for just the right 'tank' vintage machine for my 5 year old grandson. I am not in too much of a hurry so I can afford to wait for just the right one to come along.. for just the low, low price that I want! :-D

olebat 05-28-2011 01:16 AM

Treadlers, Have any of you gotten spools of leather for your belts? For $16.99 I can get a 25 yd spool of beveled lacing, which would outfit quite a few machines. However, it is beveled, rather than round. Another provider has 25 meteres of round leather for $52.99. My local provider sells belts for $10. They are 72", and include the metal clamp. Rather than the clamp, belts can be sewn together with dental floss. By this time next week, I'll be belting 3 machines. I'm thinking investment here, rather than just supporting my LQS. Any ideas on the subject?

BoJangles 05-28-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Hello gang I have to catch up on the postings here in the shop but low and behold we had a round of storms come through (tornadoes included but none of them touched down around me) but we have been with out power for the last 2 days. It just came on tonite about an hour ago and boy it feels good to have the house up and running!

The nice thing is we didnt have any damage at all except for a few small limbs in the yard.

Billy

Geeze Billy, those storms have been horrendous! All the people who lost someone, or several members of their families and their homes! It is just terrible. Glad you came out ok again.

Nancy