Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 01-02-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by fabric whisperer
Now that I've got all the new toys for my daily work, I would like to look at the older ladies... I loved the ornate scrollwork on the Redeyes (I think that's what they are called?) Just don't know what's reasonable? There are 3 CL listings near me, ranging from $285 to $325. $285 says EC?

I have a beautiful Redeye that I paid $65 for posted here on page 369. It is all a matter of perspective -- people can ask anything, but whether they get the amount depends on who wants the machine and how bad they want it I guess. The most I have paid for a treadle is $90 and that was a pristine Wheeler and Wilson, although it looks like I am going to have to spend some money to get my Davis working!

I'd see if they will come down, if you really want the machine.

Nancy

BoJangles 01-02-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Randa

I've been in contact with someone about a 1914 treadle machine and it's a Davis! Thanks to this thread, I've asked many questions about the machine. Now a question or two for you all. What would you give for a Davis treadle? He tells me it has all the parts and some extras..has the Davis shuttle bobbin...the pics sent were great...machine has lots of gold decals, it's in a dark cabinet, he thought was veneer, has the old dark patina (pateena?). He only lives 45 miles from me and if I pick it up he will take $10 off the price. I'm sure thinking about it. He nor his wife have tried sewing on it, so doesn't know if it works...but said the shuttle goes back and forth when they pedal. He said it's being stored out in the garage and it's cold so he did say the belt was slipping when they tried to pedal cuz it's stiff. Any thoughts?
It has the certificate of sale and the instruction book with it.

Randa, I'd pay a lot! I have a Davis and I only paid $25 for the machine and cabinet, but here is the big but! I now have to buy a Davis shuttle - that alone on the net is $45 for one shuttle! I also bid and lost a vintage 1881 Davis book. When I bid the book was going for $6.99 so I put a maximum bid of $20 thinking I would easily get the book! Well, while I was making 60 + enchiladas for New Year's Day, the book sold for - are you ready - $48.99! I was dumb founded! What is it with Davis that people think they have a gold mine! This is the second time I have been struck down with a Davis bid. I had bid on some Davis Boye #10 needles and thought I'd get a bunch -- they were all going (I thought) for about $7.99 a tube of three needles! Well, I put a maximum bid of $12 a tube and lost every one!

So if I ever get another change to buy a Davis, I would even if it was for the parts! I'd definetly buy a Davis like you describe that has all the parts and book with it!

Congratulations on your find -- if you get it let me know if you can get it to work and please post pictures! I am going to hang onto my Davis like Miz Johnny said because maybe I will find another one to use for parts if I can't get this one running!

Nancy

vintagemotif 01-02-2011 05:49 PM

I've been in contact with someone about a 1914 treadle machine and it's a Davis! Thanks to this thread, I've asked many questions about the machine. Now a question or two for you all. What would you give for a Davis treadle? He tells me it has all the parts and some extras..has the Davis shuttle bobbin...the pics sent were great...machine has lots of gold decals, it's in a dark cabinet, he thought was veneer, has the old dark patina (pateena?). He only lives 45 miles from me and if I pick it up he will take $10 off the price. I'm sure thinking about it. He nor his wife have tried sewing on it, so doesn't know if it works...but said the shuttle goes back and forth when they pedal. He said it's being stored out in the garage and it's cold so he did say the belt was slipping when they tried to pedal cuz it's stiff. Any thoughts?
It has the certificate of sale and the instruction book with it.

What type of Davis? How much? And don't agree to the $10 off because of you picking it up. I would talk him down more than the $10.

vintagemotif 01-02-2011 05:57 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

I am going to hang onto my Davis like Miz Johnny said because maybe I will find another one to use for parts if I can't get this one running!

Nancy

Nancy, I picked up a National Graybar for free, but the wiring and motor were shot. I didn't feel like spending the money to fix up the machine. But I did use some of the parts from this machine for my Two Spools machine. Hang onto your machine. There will be another machine that you will use for parts to get your Davis working. And maybe that machine will come with needles.

vintagemotif 01-02-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
Hey everybody - I just picked up my FREE 1910 Singer Redeye. Go to the picture section to see her - heading Singer 1910 Redeye. Happy dance - Billy, get ready for another one. She needs a belt. This will be in addition to the Davis (I think) that will be coming soon.

Congrats on the Redeye!

irishrose 01-02-2011 06:04 PM

I just heard from the second White owner. The throats on his machines are 7" and 7 1/4". I am disappointed. It makes it hard to pay to have one shipped if it's no bigger than the Elna. They are advertised as heavy duty to sew sails and such. You'd think they'd have wider throats.

The machines are Model 1315 and Model 8931. The 8931 is the one that appeals to me. $45 shipping gets me when my son will drive through that area in three weeks. The seller prefers to ship. Is it because he is charging more than usual?

But there is still the nostalgistic factor. My mother's pride and joy was a White. I have a Singer to remember my grandmother. I need a White to honor my mother's memory.

BoJangles 01-02-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by misseva
Hey everybody - I just picked up my FREE 1910 Singer Redeye. Go to the picture section to see her - heading Singer 1910 Redeye. Happy dance - Billy, get ready for another one. She needs a belt. This will be in addition to the Davis (I think) that will be coming soon.

I sure didn't find it...

I tried, but I couldn't find it either. Congratulations though!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-02-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy, I picked up a National Graybar for free, but the wiring and motor were shot. I didn't feel like spending the money to fix up the machine. But I did use some of the parts from this machine for my Two Spools machine. Hang onto your machine. There will be another machine that you will use for parts to get your Davis working. And maybe that machine will come with needles.

Wow! I think the Graybars are really neat machines!

Yes, I will keep Betty, she can't help it if someone put the wrong shuttle in! I will probably buy that shuttle, but I am kind of reluctant because I am not positive that is the problem -- pretty sure -- but, not positve and I hate to throw money away if I don't need to!

I am going to wait a bit to see if Miz Johnny can prove that a Davis will not take any shuttle but a Davis!

Nancy

purplefiend 01-02-2011 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nancy,
I have a Pfaff 1222E and I just love it! I really like it for piecing quilts and machine quilting too, also great for sewing quilt bindings on.
I bought it at the local Pfaff dealer about 3 years ago. Once I finally started using more, I was in LOVE!!!
Sharon W.

misseva 01-02-2011 08:02 PM

Hey Billy - can you tell us what page to go to in order to see my 1910 Redeye? Some, along with me are having trouble finding it.

misseva