Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 02-07-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by kwendt
QD, I seem to remember that such a s/n was a reproduction singer. Look it over carefully. Was it made in china? If so, it's an inferior repro model. Look at the decals, if they are way colorful, and not like the Sphinx's you see on this vintage site, then they are 'new'. If that's what you want... okay. But if you want a real antique machine, the repro is not for you. Billy has told us in another thread that the Chinese made, repro are mechanically inferior machines.

Actually that would be a real Singer. They sub-contracted the machines to China to sell to the third world countries.

Billy

Ah... sorry, the correct terminology is then reproduction. I fixed my original post. Thank you.

Kathie S. 02-07-2011 09:14 PM

Nancy are you talking about the Craig's list for Placerville. If so I wondered who got those machine. I e-mailed the person yesterday and she did not get back to me until tonight saying that she had sold both of them. Kathie

QuiltDraggon 02-07-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Has anyone ever seen a model number like ml-k 4248624? I have a lead on a machine but the lady who has it knows NOTHING about machines and said this was the number on it. I can't meet with her until the weekend and I'm trying to find out some details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QD, I seem to remember that such a s/n was a clone or reproduction singer. Look it over carefully. Was it made in china? If so, it's an inferior clone/ repro model. Look at the decals, if they are way colorful, and not like the Sphinx's you see on this vintage site, then they are 'new'. If that's what you want... okay. But if you want a real antique machine, the repro is not for you. Billy has told us in another thread that the Chinese made, repro clones are mechanically inferior machines.

Actually that would be a real Singer. They sub-contracted the machines to China to sell to the third world countries.

Billy

So it isn't an antique machine but a reproduction and one I should avoid if I want a true antique? Sorry I'm confused.

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If you recall from all that note taking and reading of this thread, Purplefiend (Sharon) and I have Singers with solid wheels in treadles. Sharon has her Singer 237 (link to a 237 http://reocities.com/Heartland/estat...g_sing237.html) and I have my 201.

I got my idea to use my 201 this way from Sharon's posts. I would just try it out to see if it works. That is what I did. Best idea, that and Sharon's suggestion of dental floss to hold treadle belt instead of the staple. Thank you Sharon!

Humbly thanking you for the link, the info... I do have the dental floss thing in my book, honest. I'm not askin about the 201, I know you can do that. I saw your picture and that made me want to get a treadle 201!! Down here, that's gonna take a LONG while. But then I was looking at my poor old, non reverse 66-6, and thought... well.... until I find a 201, what if I found a treadle cabinet and put THAT in it? It's got a different handwheel. Wasn't sure it could be done, and what is the limiting factor? Spokes? That doesn't make sense. Belt race? or Belt race in a certain place?

Thanks to purplefiend and VM for giving me the heads up that an electric belt race will work for a treadle belt. Thanks guys. So now, if I happen to see a treadle cabinet, I might pick that up too. We'll see! Thanks!

Just remember that you only need one treadle. Look at Billy's set up.
Which is very clever and works for those with limited space. You can have a shelf with different machine heads and change machines as needed. So, they don't all have to be Singer machines to work. Way cool! have fun hunting!

luv2learn 02-07-2011 09:26 PM

Oh Miz Johnny, that New National is so gorgeous. . . . the one I saw a photo of is only a mere hint of yours. You really have a wonderful knack for finding such awesome machines. Thank you for sharing them with us. luv2learn

BoJangles 02-07-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy are you talking about the Craig's list for Placerville. If so I wondered who got those machine. I e-mailed the person yesterday and she did not get back to me until tonight saying that she had sold both of them. Kathie

Yes, it was me! I got both of them for $100! They are both pre 1900 (at least I think the New Home T 3 is a pre 1900, I know the Wilcox and Gibbs is) and really cute!

Nancy

kwendt 02-07-2011 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
So it isn't an antique machine but a reproduction and one I should avoid if I want a true antique? Sorry I'm confused.

Hi back... sorry to confuse you. If you want a true antique, then a reproduction would not be what you are looking for. Here's another qb thread that mentioned this very same thing, with our awesome Billy giving an opinion about it. This thread also has some photo's of a reproduction machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49054-1.htm

kwendt 02-07-2011 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Yes, it was me! I got both of them for $100! They are both pre 1900 (at least I think the New Home T 3 is a pre 1900, I know the Wilcox and Gibbs is) and really cute!

Nancy

Nancy, you are SOOO good at picking up cool things!!!! Kathie too. I am in AWE and the sheer number of cool and cheap machines you find! Everyone here posts them for $75 to $150 or more. Even if they are trashed! Good going!

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 10:18 PM

[quote=kwendt]

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Nancy

Nancy, you are SOOO good at picking up cool things!!!! Kathie too. I am in AWE and the sheer number of cool and cheap machines you find! Everyone here posts them for $75 to $150 or more. Even if they are trashed! Good going!

Where did you say you are in Florida?

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 10:44 PM

Miz Johnny, Do you have one of these? A spool holder.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/2199746215.html