Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage zig zag machine recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-zig-zag-machine-recommendations-t224446.html)

jlm5419 06-25-2013 06:10 AM

A Kenmore from the 70s was my first zigzag machine. It is still going strong, and I sewed just about everything from drapes to bluejeans. I highly recommend this machine.

shasta5718 06-25-2013 08:04 AM

I have found that the older pfaffs, kenmores, and whites, also brothers all have nice zig zag stitches. In fact most of the older machines were well made, I would try out a few if you are looking at any and see which fits your needs.

SewNewGirl 06-25-2013 02:21 PM

Thanks everyone for all the great responses!! I would love to have one as old as possible. I can feel the difference from the old to the new. I am just not that familiar with all the different machines yet. I love my singers. I did get to look up the Necchi last night and it looks like an awesome machine. Does anyone know when the first zig zag machines first come out?? I tried searching internet last night but didn't find good info. I will keep researching!! I have a singer with some cams in it for zigzag stitching but I am not crazy about it and I also think it is too new. Thanks again!

mlmack 06-25-2013 03:52 PM

An older Necchi is likely to be your best bet for an early zig zag machine.

Yooper32 06-26-2013 05:18 AM

Or an Elna. Mine was bought in 1964, first free-arm I had seen, but Viking also had one. Uses cams. I sewed on it for over 30 yrs. before buying a newer machine without cams. I will never part with it.

mom-6 06-26-2013 07:59 AM

Apparently the one I brought home the other day, a Singer 206 (from I believe 1952) was among the first zig zag machines made. As soon as I get a bobbin case and bobbins for it I will let you know how I like it.

mlmack 06-26-2013 08:54 AM

Just as an FYI, the Singer 206 uses 206x13 needles, which may or may not be hard to find.

SewNewGirl 06-26-2013 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6144851)
Apparently the one I brought home the other day, a Singer 206 (from I believe 1952) was among the first zig zag machines made. As soon as I get a bobbin case and bobbins for it I will let you know how I like it.

Please do let me know!! I looked it up , it is nice machine.

tate_elliott 06-26-2013 05:16 PM

SewNewGirl, All of these recommendations are good, but finding them is the tricky part. Why not try this - go to a local sewing machine repair shop and see what they have in used machines? These shops often have trade-ins for sale. You'll want to try and find an "old time" shop, where the repairman looks older than Moses. That's the guy you want, because newer repairmen (or women) don't know how to work on older machines and think that nobody would want one.

Tate

Mizkaki 06-26-2013 05:25 PM

SewNewGirl,

The first zigzag patent was issued in 1873, but not sure when the first household sewing machines was sold. Bernina did produce and sell a zigzag in 1938.

Cathy

Originally Posted by SewNewGirl (Post 6143404)
Thanks everyone for all the great responses!! I would love to have one as old as possible. I can feel the difference from the old to the new. I am just not that familiar with all the different machines yet. I love my singers. I did get to look up the Necchi last night and it looks like an awesome machine. Does anyone know when the first zig zag machines first come out??