Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   VSMS: What to check mechanically on an old Singer 27? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vsms-what-check-mechanically-old-singer-27-a-t105908.html)

kwendt 03-07-2011 09:12 PM

Hi Vintage Machine lovers... I have a question.

I have two Singer 27s that I have found. I am not going to keep both. So I have to decide which one to sell. I want to use the 27 that I keep as a treadle machine (both are currently electrified) and both are in cases. What sorts of things should I check for to see which machine is of better mechanical condition, less wear, less problems.

Both have the shuttle and one bobbin (in the shuttle).
Both have cases. (I will choose which case I want to keep).

While both are Sphinx decal's - one is nicer looking, not so much wear, pin rash or silvering. The other has wear and silvering over 50% of it. However...
The machine with decal wear was used by someone's grandmother all her life, she took care of it, and I got it from the estate sale still in oiled and 'clean' condition. The other I do not know the history of, since I bought it from an antique collector who has had it on a shelf for 20 years as a display. It moves...but is very, very dry. I have not attempted to clean it up yet.

Is there a way to tell if the pressure bar is worn out? Or if some of the other gearing, wheels, etc. should be replaced?

Can I get a flight check list, please?! lol ... thanks all for your expertise!

emmah 03-08-2011 06:32 AM

I am no expert, but it seem the first step is to get the frozen one cleaned up and running. Follow Billy's tutorials to do this. Then do some side by side comparison stitching while they are both electric to see how they sew. I seriously doubt that there will be any need to replace parts on either of them since you said the shuttles and bobbins are still there. Those and the slide plate are often the first to go missing. The internal workings are so well made that unless someone tinkered with it or "adjusted" them in ignorance, they should be in good condition.

Lostn51 03-10-2011 06:15 PM

The chances of any parts being worn are slim to none on these machines. The sphinx decals are common like the cold and unless it is a near perfect example I would sell it. So I vote clean the best one up and your good to go.

Billy

cabbagepatchkid 03-27-2011 01:11 PM

Did you make a decision, yet? I have a 27 that I'm cleaning up right now and after oiling it everyplace, that looked like it might need some, it moves so-o-o smoothly. I haven't reattached the motor so I am just turning the handwheel by hand but it is so silkie in it's movements.

redbugsullivan 04-06-2011 08:48 PM

I'm curious... how did they turn out?

kwendt 04-07-2011 01:00 PM

Um... I haven't done much to either of them. Cleaning up a 15-91 I got. But that's on hold too for right now. I've been doing music gigs Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays... and now for a prison event (thursday through Sunday of next week) AND planning a concert or concert series starting in May and running through the summer, and potentially another christian weekend of music at a retreat next month. A little bit swamped at the moment. Sorry! Haven't been part of the list much lately! Lurking when I can!