Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Walking foot for Featherweight 221..Is it worth getting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/walking-foot-featherweight-221-worth-getting-t214020.html)

Rann 02-18-2013 04:19 PM

I have a regular walking foot for my FW--just a cheap one off ebay and it works fine.

MimiBug123 02-19-2013 11:00 AM

I don't have a walking foot for my FWs. I have one for my 15-91, my 66, my 27 treadle, and of course for my Janomes. I just don't see using one with the FW, due to it's size. I use them to piece and use the 1/4" foot a lot. I don't plan of getting one to use with my smaller machines.

Skyangel 02-19-2013 01:49 PM

Sew-Classic.com has a walking foot that fits the narrow feed dogs on straight stitch machines (including FW). I think it is $20.

quiltgal 02-19-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Grammie Sharon (Post 5866506)
I saw a walkng foot on April 1930's website that is for a featherweight 221. Does anyone use one on their Featherweight machines? Is it worth buying? The price seems reasonable and I've bought bobbins from them and they were great and had great service. Would this be useful?

I have a couple of different types of walking feet on my website specifically for Featherweights. Run fro $22.95 down to $18.95. website www.thequiltgal.com.
I have used them all and know that they work well on any of the featherweights. Would not be without one for sewing on binding or doing quilting.

caroloto 02-19-2013 09:23 PM

quiltgal you have a very nice web site and reasonable too! I have a walking foot/feet that looks the same as one on your page and I believe I have had it at least 12 years maybe more. I use it on my Featherweight 221 as well as the rest of my low shank machines both SS and ones with ZZ (wider feet space), yet when I did buy it I got it for the Featherweight. I just have kept it clean and oiled, was sort of afraid when oiling about getting some on the plastic.

I will say the walking foot makes a big difference when using it to piece triangles and really all piecing to keep a no stretching and helps keeps the seams to line up.

chergram 06-22-2013 04:39 PM

do you have the address for the sew classic site if so i would like to have thanks say my name is evelyn too

Daylesewblessed 06-22-2013 04:59 PM

I have a friend who owns 3 Featherweights and no other machines. The oldest one was her mother's, another came from an aunt, and the newest one was hers from the start. Anyway, she makes a lot of quilts. One machine is always set up with a generic walking foot. She wore out several with plastic shanks and finally, several years ago, found a short shank walking foot with a metal shank. It is still serving her well.

I personally ran into (and purchased) 2 penguins at the same garage/estate sale. One was dysfunctional, and my friend reattached the spring inside to make it work fine for her. The other one I sold, because this all happened before I had any Featherweights myself.

The world of vintage attachments is a fun one!

mom-6 06-22-2013 05:25 PM

I have the walking foot from April 1930s. It has served me well ever since I got it a couple years ago. I keep it on my machine all the time.

lots2do 06-23-2013 04:59 AM

I'm ordering one today. Glad to hear the positive reviews.

nanna-up-north 06-23-2013 05:08 AM

I have a walking foot for my FW and use it when I quilt. Many people have said that quilting on the FW is not good because it strains the motor but I haven't had an issue. I don't quilt a huge top on it and I only work in short sessions. I quilted a baby quilt but the FW is pretty small space for a large quilt.

I also have the 1/4 inch foot and use that as well. I have a 50s FW that has the 1/4 inch marking on the throat plate so the foot isn't really an issue. My older FWs don't have the markings on the throat plate so I have to have the 1/4 inch foot or wouldn't know where I was sewing.

I got a darning foot with one of my FWs and I am able to FMQ with that one. You know, there really isn't a need for any other machine when you have a zig-zag attachment and the other feet...... I love my FWs.