Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Wall of Sewing Machines Store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/wall-sewing-machines-store-t260733.html)

tropit 02-03-2015 05:39 AM

Wall of Sewing Machines Store

1 Attachment(s)
Remember, a while back, when someone posted a picture of a wall of antique sewing machines in a clothing store? Well, a couple of months ago, my hubby and I were in London. We were walking down Portobello Rd. and there it was, the "wall of sewing machines" store! What a surprise! I had to have a look inside. The store was one, in a chain of clothing stores and the clothes were so-so. It was kind of sad to see all those machines merely acting as decor for the store and not being loved.

Sewnoma 02-03-2015 05:58 AM

At least they weren't all painted in company colors or turned into lamps or something!

Sounds like the machines were much more interesting than anything they were selling, LOL.

tropit 02-03-2015 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7075262)
At least they weren't all painted in company colors or turned into lamps or something!

Sounds like the machines were much more interesting than anything they were selling, LOL.

Well...I certainly thought so...LOL.

~ C

KLO 02-03-2015 07:12 AM

Yep, that's the same store that is in Seattle and a few other places. I would imagine that it would take your breath away if you happened upon it unexpectedly! But oh how I would love to see them! As Sewnoma said, it's nice that they are not painted or lamps now but I always have wondered if they are/could be working machines still. So nice that you got to see them ... and to be in London too!!!

mike'sgirl 02-03-2015 07:44 AM

Maybe someone, seeing them there, will realize that old machies have a value. They at least dont have to be thrown away. They have a new purpose. :)

Daylesewblessed 02-03-2015 12:09 PM

It would be great to see them used and loved. But there is value in seeing them on display and loved there. My question is whether or not there was information such as make, model, and year also displayed.

Jackie Spencer 02-04-2015 05:43 AM

There is a Quilt Shop about an hour from where I live, and she has dozens of very old antique machines sitting all around in her store. I love looking at them, I would rather see them on display, then rusting away somewhere.

tropit 02-04-2015 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 7075762)
It would be great to see them used and loved. But there is value in seeing them on display and loved there. My question is whether or not there was information such as make, model, and year also displayed.

I didn't see any information posted on them, but I might have missed it...I was so overwhelmed by the sight of it all. I think that their focus was on selling clothes and not being curators for sewing machines.

~ Cindy

SunlitenSmiles 02-04-2015 06:56 AM

an hour north? near Indianapolis ? near South Bend ? can you tell us the name of the store?

Sewnoma 02-04-2015 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 7076577)
There is a Quilt Shop about an hour from where I live, and she has dozens of very old antique machines sitting all around in her store. I love looking at them, I would rather see them on display, then rusting away somewhere.

One of the local shops here does the same, and thanks to this forum I went from simply thinking "Oh, what a neat idea!" to "Hmmm, that one is a 66 Red Eye but too bad it's missing its bobbin winder, I'll guess it's from the mid 50's; and that one over there is a 15 and I think that decal pattern is called Tiffany, I'll guess late 20's for that one; and this one here seems to be a 15 clone...."

You guys have ruined me! LOL