Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Waltham Treadle... any thoughts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/waltham-treadle-any-thoughts-t264924.html)

scrappingfaye58 05-06-2015 11:36 AM

Waltham Treadle... any thoughts?

A local second hand store as Waltham Treadle, in a base that just needs a little fixing up, and the machine needs cleaned up good, but I did see the shuttle!! They are asking $75. Is this a rare machine? I cannot find much about it online. Any and all info, thoughts and ideas welcome!

Rodney 05-06-2015 11:49 AM

Hard to say if it's rare or not without pictures. There were several manufacturers that would make machines and put whatever brand the buyer wanted on them. Chances are your machine is a branded machine. There may not be a lot that say "Waltham" on them but plenty of the same basic machine.

Markets vary. In my market $75 for a treadle in reasonable shape isn't a bad price. The fact yours has it's shuttle is a big plus. My thoughts are that if you love it and can afford it, go ahead and treat yourself. Don't worry too much about price. How much entertainment will $75 buy elsewhere? Not a lot these days.
Rodney

J Miller 05-06-2015 12:25 PM

I'm agreeing with Rodney on this one. I'm kind of a cheep skate but if the condition is as good as you say and you want it, why not go for it?

Joe

Macybaby 05-06-2015 03:12 PM

I did a google search, and the ones I saw with that name are National machines (does not mean the one you are talking about is one though). I'm always happy when I can get a treadle I want for under $100.

ann31039 05-06-2015 04:46 PM

Go for it. Sounds fair. And post some pictures
Please.

jlhmnj 05-06-2015 05:35 PM

These treadles cost close to $75 85 years ago. I don't think the old treadle could be made today with the same skill and workmanship for less than a few thousand if at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-AD-Sewi...-/151010748345

Jon

Macybaby 05-07-2015 04:28 AM

All four in the Add are National machines. Love the last paragraph on the second page!

J Miller 05-07-2015 04:42 AM

Cost; the only current maker of treadle cabinets I've seen recently is the Amish. The cost of the cabinet I saw was over $400 with out the machine.

The only treadle compatible machine currently available that I know of is the Janome 712T. What do those cost; $400 ±. So to make a new treadle you're looking at nearly a thousand dollars.

From that perspective $75.00 for a vintage treadle in good shape is a bargain.

Joe

yobrosew 05-07-2015 05:34 AM

I probably overspent (ok, I DID overspend) on my treadle and it has proven to me to be worth every extra dollar. I loved her when I saw her and I still love her. I don't know if I would have enjoyed a machine so much if bought because it was "the right price" but there was no falling in love. You excitement at finding the shuttle could be a very strong indication of a long and vibrant friendship with this machine.

yobrosew 05-07-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 7188836)
Cost; the only current maker of treadle cabinets I've seen recently is the Amish. The cost of the cabinet I saw was over $400 with out the machine.

The only treadle compatible machine currently available that I know of is the Janome 712T. What do those cost; $400 ±. So to make a new treadle you're looking at nearly a thousand dollars.

From that perspective $75.00 for a vintage treadle in good shape is a bargain.

Joe

Plus, the newer machine is a piece of doodoo. We have those "Amish" treadles around here being sold. Sure, they use nice wood but they are more cumbersome than the older cabinets and not as friendly, as far as I am concerned. If I was going to make a new machine into a treadle, I would find a way to fit it up with an old treadle, for sure.