Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   We did it again, another Sphinx and a 29-4 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/we-did-again-another-sphinx-29-4-a-t171192.html)

Caroline S 12-06-2011 03:09 PM

We did it again, another Sphinx and a 29-4

4 Attachment(s)
My DD and I were not looking for any more sewing machines. But we received a call from a friend of the person we bought a sphinx a couple of weeks ago. She had two machines she was interested in selling. She sent us a couple of photos and one looked like it was a Sphinx and the other one was big and industrial looking. The lady wanted $450.00 for both of them. So DD went to look at them, said it was more than they were worth. As DD was leaving the lady came out and tapped on her window and asked would she pay $250.00 for both. DD called me and said what do you think? I said go ahead and buy them, if anything the Sphinx could be a parts machine. Well she brought them home and the Sphinx is in better shape than the one my DS sent me and the one we had bought a couple of weeks ago.

The big machine is a 29-4, serial # G1183248, mfg bet 1908-1909?
The Singer Sphinx, serial #14816344, mfg abt 1893?

The 29-4 is still in the back of the truck waiting for some man muscle, it is one heavy machine.

We will be calling Singer tomorrow to get definite dates.

Is this like fabric, do we have to have a New Year's resolution, NO MORE MACHINES!!!?

Lori S 12-06-2011 03:34 PM

I am so jealous , I have been trying to find a Sphinx for a long time.

amyjo 12-06-2011 03:38 PM

I think the big machine you have is a leather sewing machine. We have on just like it and don't know the year or model. I have it out in my bus. No room to have in the house. have so many and so little room and here in the winter am not able to get out to do anything with any of it. forgot to add that I have an 1898 singer Sphinx that is cleaned up just like new and runs fantastic. Had it taken to the guy in Minot that does my machines. he doesn't charge that much either.

Glenda m 12-07-2011 07:30 AM

The 'big' machine looks like it if HUGE! Congrats on getting both of them.

SunlitenSmiles 12-07-2011 07:42 AM

bet the one in the truck makes boots !!!!!!!!!

Caroline S 12-07-2011 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles (Post 4759538)
bet the one in the truck makes boots !!!!!!!!!

Yes, after a little research, we found that it is leather machine used for making such things as shoes and boots. And it is very big and HEAVY. We got it off the truck last night with some "man muscle" and is now in the garage. We decided to name HIM Stanley Singer because he is so masculine.

quilt addict 12-07-2011 09:37 AM

Congratulations on your buy. The cabinet for the Sphinx, I think it is a model 27, is in great shape.

I love the look of the leather machines. But I would never have a use for one or the space.

See they just start finding you.

fluffygirl 12-07-2011 11:05 AM

It seems that you find the most interesting machines when you aren't looking-or when you decide you have enough machines and aren't going to buy anymore!:eek: Those machines will be really great when you get them fixed up.

Pat

Little Sue 4.9 12-07-2011 02:48 PM

WOW they'r both beautiful machines. Have fun with them.

krista 12-08-2011 07:09 AM

BEAUTIFUL machines! There is no such thing as having to many. They look nice even as decorations. Have fun using them!