Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Weekend Machine #2, White Rotary, brown and wrinkled (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/weekend-machine-2-white-rotary-brown-wrinkled-t270872.html)

Caroline94535 10-08-2015 11:18 AM

Weekend Machine #2, White Rotary, brown and wrinkled

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the second of three machines I "met" at the Crookston, MN, Florist and Antique Shop

A White Rotary, Serial No. 43-123547. The face plate was missing.

Caroline94535 10-08-2015 11:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
White Rotary from the top with it's cords, knee lift, etc. in a tangled mess on the floor.

Caroline94535 10-08-2015 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's the bobbin area and back...

Caroline94535 10-08-2015 11:42 AM

I was so busy trying to get the photos to post I forgot to add, this was the first White Rotary, and the first crinkle finish machine I've seen since joining this forum and learning about them.

sewbeadit 10-08-2015 12:36 PM

Looks like a pretty decent machine to me. What were they asking for their machines, that would make a lot of difference as to who would want to take them on. This one actually looks like it wouldn't take that much to clean it up.

Caroline94535 10-08-2015 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I knew I was forgetting something - the prices! One was priced at $25, the other two did not have tags. I shall call them tomorrow and ask what they want for each of them.

I'm so amazed that people have commented on both this one and the White Rotary that they 'weren't that bad.' I was horrified at their condition. I guess I was spoiled by the two vintage machines that did follow me home (a 1954 Singer 15-91 and a 1952 Pfaff 130-6) - they were clean, rust-free, shiny, and read to rock-and-roll.

The third machine was a Singer Sphinx; the second one I've ever seen. It's Serial No. is K187387

DonnaMiller 10-08-2015 04:15 PM

Caroline,
My DD has this one and I haven't got it stitching yet. She lives in IL and I am in TN and can't do it over the phone. Going there soon. Pretty machine and very nice.

DonnaMiller 10-08-2015 04:17 PM

I believe this White Rotary machine is magnesium metal, lighter than cast iron and more portable. It sometimes sheds its paint though. Yours looks pretty good. I have this machine and it needs a little more work than I want to do and also needs the throat plate. It is capable. Do you have the bobbin and bobbin case? I went back and saw you do have the bobbin parts. That is good. because they are hard to find. I also have the model 77 that came after this one. Hope your light works. I repainted the bed of the 77 with that funny tool box paint from RustOleum and it looks good. I was rather shocked how well it blended in. I was just trying to make it usable, but shock and awe, it looks good. It sews a nice stitch. Just keep cleaning and oiling and you'll get there.

Quincunx 10-08-2015 07:58 PM

Just plain tool box paint? Wonderful! I have to remember that for when I finally get a gnomezilla 77 for my own.

Mickey2 10-09-2015 02:22 AM

The White machine looks interesting. I have and Elna with a crackle pain case, if you ever find a way to polish it please share your tips. My was grimey and almost beyon cleaning, but eventually it cleared up. I think the pait must have had a shine to it when new, but hardly a trace of it these days. I used Auto Glym car polish on it, wich turned out a mistake, it was very hard to polish off.

If the body is a type of magnesium-aluminum alloy, it would be very interesting. I have never heard of it in sewing machines, pretty early on too. With a bit of luck the White machine should shine up like new. I hope all the electical isn't too difficult to rewire. Motor pulley is directly on the hand wheel, no belt.