Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Went to Salvation Army today and am cautiously optimistic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/went-salvation-army-today-am-cautiously-optimistic-t249888.html)

Stitchnripper 07-10-2014 12:23 PM

Went to Salvation Army today and am cautiously optimistic

I am always on the quest for a vintage Singer. I don't get to this particular store often because it is far afield. I was looking at an old beige singer, of no interest to me, and a man who works there said "it works fine". I told him I was interested in the old black headed Singers. He said "oh we throw them out". What???!!!!!??? He said if you are looking for them I will save them. Well, I have never seen him before, but I gave him my cell phone number and said if he got any in to call me and I could probably come by that same day. Now I am cautiously optimistic that I might luck into something at a good price, since they throw them out. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me! I need a project.

omacookie 07-10-2014 12:32 PM

I live in Baton Rouge and could help you out. PM me. Hugs,

J Miller 07-10-2014 12:50 PM

They throw them out!? :( What a bunch of maroons. :mad:

Good luck, I hope the guy remembers what he said.

Joe

Candace 07-10-2014 12:58 PM

OMG. One thrift store here(my son works there so he knows) generally donates many of their machines to Goodwill unless they operate perfectly. Any issues whatsoever and they just can't afford to repair them and sell, so off to Goodwill they go. That's a huge step ahead of the garbage!!

lindaschipper 07-11-2014 05:35 AM

I saw one in a cabinet yesterday at my Salvation Army in Davenport, Iowa. Cabinet and all was something like $39.00 and it looked to be in good shape.

psychonurse 07-11-2014 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 6795784)
I saw one in a cabinet yesterday at my Salvation Army in Davenport, Iowa. Cabinet and all was something like $39.00 and it looked to be in good shape.

What did you see? my brother could go by there for me.

Rodney 07-11-2014 08:06 AM

It could be they determined the black ones don't sell as well as newer ones.
I hope it works out for you where you can save a few machines that would otherwise get scrapped.
Rodney

Carol34446 07-11-2014 09:05 AM

I would call and talk to store owner or manager to make sure they all knew to save them for you.

mlmack 07-11-2014 05:30 PM

Guess it's time to go dumpster diving!

GreyQ 07-11-2014 05:49 PM

That's a shame to throw them out. I may be wrong but I think Bernina dealers will take old machines to refurbish and place in communities around the world. It may have been only a one time offer with a sale but there are charities which place treadles and other vintage machines in places with few resources. Just an idea if a thrift store would like an alternative to tossing them.