Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   what about a Shmens sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-about-shmens-sewing-machine-t213095.html)

ktbb 02-05-2013 09:29 PM

what about a Shmens sewing machine?

1 Attachment(s)
have an item on craiglist here in anchorage offering a Shmens machine for sale - has some rust on the unpainted/enameled metal around the needle/shank, but the body looks like it's in great shape. Have only done preliminary research online and saw one article where the machine was awarded top honors at the Paris Exhibition for the best sewing machine...seller doesn't even have a price in mind so looking for more information.

Mizkaki 02-05-2013 10:35 PM

Kate,

The badge on the arm says "Deluxe". The Deluxe badges were found on Japanese imported machines during the 1950s. I'm not sure if Deluxe was the manufacturer. These are usually very good machines, but not very valuable.
I have picked up several of these in the $25 to 35 range. I hope this helps some.

Cathy

Originally Posted by ktbb (Post 5841644)
have an item on craiglist here in anchorage offering a Shmens machine for sale - has some rust on the unpainted/enameled metal around the needle/shank, but the body looks like it's in great shape. Have only done preliminary research online and saw one article where the machine was awarded top honors at the Paris Exhibition for the best sewing machine...seller doesn't even have a price in mind so looking for more information.

Tartan 02-06-2013 05:59 AM

I have never seen that brand before. Make sure all the parts are there because finding replacements might be tricky. Does it use a regular size needle? Odd size needles can be hard to get. I would want to try it out before buying it because a machine you can't use is too expensive no matter how cheap it is.

J Miller 02-06-2013 06:13 AM

The "Deluxe" badge looks like the old 50s Japanese HA-1 / 15 clones, but the gaudy decals look more like the more recent Chinese machines. At any rate it is a 15 clone, so parts shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Joe

Candace 02-06-2013 07:24 AM

I see quite a bit of rust on this clone. If there's as much rust on the bottom and inside it, I'd be very wary.

ktbb 02-06-2013 09:47 AM

thanks for your proompt responses - I'd already decided to not purchase it, but was interested in having more information...also looked on Wikipedia and evidently the original manufacturer of the Shmen's machine was bought out by Singer n the very early 1900's..

loucos 11-29-2016 07:42 AM

Hello Kate,
I see this is quite an old thread and I hope you are still following the Quilting Board.
I have a SHMEN sewing machine similar to the one you wanted to buy and would like to exchange information with you.
If you are still around I would love to hear from you.
Costa._ in Athens, GREECE

ktbb 11-29-2016 09:04 AM

Hi - I quickly forgot about the Schmen's. I don't have any information other than what was given on the discussion thread. Hopefully your machine is in working order. It looked like a beautiful machine with all the decals.

Pat M. 11-29-2016 01:41 PM

Looks like a clone of a model 15, Singer. should be able to use the manual for information. ALL kinds of machines have DeLuxe attached to them. Most come from Japan, around the 1950's. They would put the buyers/manufactures name and add DeLuxe to them.

Macybaby 11-30-2016 02:22 PM

And the Japanese manufacturer also liked to use defunct, well known sewing machine company names. I had one that was badged Howe, and even had the Howe emblem on it - however they transposed the picture so the face was facing the other way than you'll find on real Howe machines.

it also had the "deluxe" badge and was marked "made in japan" in less prominent areas.