Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What do I have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-do-i-have-t188320.html)

sew.annie 05-07-2012 07:25 PM

Wonder what she's worth...

quiltsRfun 05-07-2012 07:41 PM

I don't know what it is but it's mighty purdy. Whoever owned this machine sure took good care of it.

Caroline S 05-07-2012 07:50 PM

Wonderful sewing machine and looks as if it is in great condition. I understand that the RAF decals are not common here but may be in Europe.

Muv 05-08-2012 01:32 AM

Yes, RAF decals are fairly common here. Have a look at my 1940 15K treadle on the video on Youtube.

Vintage.Singers.NYC 05-08-2012 01:58 AM

Nice find Annie, as others have noted you've got a model 15 commissioned in 1950 or 1951, with the RAF decals, produced in Singer's Kilbowie plant in Scotland. The machine is interesting/unusual (at least to Americans) for the RAF decal set, uncommon over here; you'll also notice it has the floral-patterned faceplate, whereas a model 15 from the same era produced here in the 'States had the striated faceplate.

Because your machine has the belt-driven motor, it is easy to convert to treadle; you just pop it in a treadle cabinet, add a belt and you're good to go. You can't really do that, at least not easily, with the 15-91 because that has a different motor and handwheel set-up.

As for the sub-model, I do not believe that's a 15-90--I think it's actually a 15-96 or a 15-98, which were originally handcrank or treadle machines to begin with. I suspect your machine was converted to electric and had the motor added to it after the fact. The giveaway is the silver-knobbed stitch length lever. If your machine was a 15-88, 15-89 or 15-90 it would have a round stitch-length indicator plate and a flat silver lever, not the knobbed lever set-up on your machine. Does the motor say "Singer" on it, or is it a different brand?

As far as what it's worth, I'm sure you've heard this before: It's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. I've found no matter what machine you're buying or selling, you'll always find out afterwards that someone else paid half that and another person paid double.

Painiacs 05-08-2012 03:01 AM

Sew beautiful!!! Wonderful!

Muv 05-08-2012 04:07 AM

Rain - If it had originally been a hand machine then it would have a spoked wheel, whereas this wheel is solid - unless of course they changed the wheel.

sew.annie 05-08-2012 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC (Post 5201425)
Nice find Annie, as others have noted you've got a model 15 commissioned in 1950 or 1951, with the RAF decals, produced in Singer's Kilbowie plant in Scotland. The machine is interesting/unusual (at least to Americans) for the RAF decal set, uncommon over here; you'll also notice it has the floral-patterned faceplate, whereas a model 15 from the same era produced here in the 'States had the striated faceplate.

Because your machine has the belt-driven motor, it is easy to convert to treadle; you just pop it in a treadle cabinet, add a belt and you're good to go. You can't really do that, at least not easily, with the 15-91 because that has a different motor and handwheel set-up.

As for the sub-model, I do not believe that's a 15-90--I think it's actually a 15-96 or a 15-98, which were originally handcrank or treadle machines to begin with. I suspect your machine was converted to electric and had the motor added to it after the fact. The giveaway is the silver-knobbed stitch length lever. If your machine was a 15-88, 15-89 or 15-90 it would have a round stitch-length indicator plate and a flat silver lever, not the knobbed lever set-up on your machine. Does the motor say "Singer" on it, or is it a different brand?

As far as what it's worth, I'm sure you've heard this before: It's worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it. I've found no matter what machine you're buying or selling, you'll always find out afterwards that someone else paid half that and another person paid double.

Thank you so much for all the info. The motor is a Singer. I paid $150...I think it was a good deal.

sew.annie 05-08-2012 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5201417)
Yes, RAF decals are fairly common here. Have a look at my 1940 15K treadle on the video on Youtube.

Your machines are beautiful!!!

sew.annie 05-08-2012 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the back... much prettier in person