Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What is a fair offer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-fair-offer-t197020.html)

CanadianGirl 08-08-2012 05:39 AM

What is a fair offer?

1 Attachment(s)
This featherweight 3-110 is posted in my local online classified. She is asking $100. I called and am going to see it tonight. She has no idea if it works. There is no cord to plug it in...here is a picture...it is a little banged up...any advice?

Candace 08-08-2012 07:14 AM

A cord and plug will set you back probably $20-$30. A bobbin case will set you back another $40-50 if it's missing. So, make sure you check to see that it's there.

chips88 08-08-2012 07:25 AM

you have time to lookup prices on what it will cost to replace these things and i would deduct that off the price. sew- classic is where to go online. for sure..:thumbup:

irishrose 08-08-2012 07:34 AM

Is the foot pedal there? The machine does look to be in only fair condition cosmetically. I think it depends on how badly you want a FW.

OmaForFour 08-09-2012 03:48 AM

I would pass on this and go to Ebay. They always have FWs. You can bid one one you like up to what you think you want to pay. If it doesn't work out, go on to the next one. I got a beautiful FW for $150 in perfect working order and with all the parts.

callen 08-09-2012 04:11 AM

Before I bought my FW, I checked online for a guessestimate price & was told anywhere between $200 - 600. I got one off eBay (the Canadian site) for $300. & it was in MINT condition. I did not have to replace anything or fix anything. All I had to do was wipe it down. The case does have a musty smell but that seems to be a common issue with these machines. I would check eBay. It may take some time but you will end up getting one & in much better condition than that one. Good luck.

CanadianGirl 08-09-2012 04:49 AM

I offered her $20 since there was no way to know if it was working...and since my bf is interested in tinkering with the sewing machines I thought it couldn't be a waste of money even if it didn't work and he got a chance to practise...she said no, and then called back and said yes! Woohooo! Went and got her right away...much better shape than expected! Bobbin case is there and the wheel turns easily....going to get the plug and foot pedal today! YAY!!!

grayhare 08-09-2012 05:10 AM

Congrats, can't beat the price.

lovelyl 08-09-2012 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by CanadianGirl (Post 5428223)
I offered her $20 since there was no way to know if it was working...and since my bf is interested in tinkering with the sewing machines I thought it couldn't be a waste of money even if it didn't work and he got a chance to practise...she said no, and then called back and said yes! Woohooo! Went and got her right away...much better shape than expected! Bobbin case is there and the wheel turns easily....going to get the plug and foot pedal today! YAY!!!

Smart move! Congrats - let us know how she sews once you get the foot pedal. You know she needs a name now, right? :o

jennb 08-09-2012 05:31 AM

that would be a prime candidate for a spiffy paint job. I'd love to find one like that I could play with the paint job on. Y'all will have to let me know if you come across one that could serve as nothing more than a glorified paperweight. I want one I can use for decor only, not for sewing.