Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What model Singer might this be? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-model-singer-might-t206673.html)

Belfrybat 11-22-2012 09:36 AM

What model Singer might this be?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm waiting delivery of the 15-99 I purchased and am beginning to look at either a cabinet or the hardware to put it into a table I have. I found this on Craigslist. I really like the cabinet and that is reason I would purchase it, but also wonder what model the machine is? A 66 perhaps?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378021[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378022[/ATTACH]

J Miller 11-22-2012 09:41 AM

Belfrybat,

From the size of the motor compared to the pillar and the length of the bed, I'd say that was a 99. The 99 is a 3/4 size machine so your 15-91 won't fit into the cabinet.
That's too bad cos I do like that cabinet too.

Joe

ArchaicArcane 11-22-2012 01:16 PM

A 3/4 sized cabinet!! That's not easy to find. I'd probably make room. ;)

Mitch's mom 11-22-2012 01:45 PM

That is a 66 machine. If you look to the tight of the machine bed you can see where the cabinet cut-out continues. If the machine you are getting is a full size machine it will fit right in that cabinet/desk. Those desks are wonderful if you get it for a good price. They are solid wood. They were introduced in the early 60's to be sold with the 400 and 500 series machines. The black machines are a smidge shorter in the bed so you will have a gap like the one shown in the pictures. The hinge pins will line up okay. Are you getting a class 15 machine with the verticle bobbin or are you getting a 99 that uses a drop in bobbin? There is no 15-99 machine

pinkCastleDH 11-22-2012 02:20 PM

I agree with Joe, it looks like a 99. The gap to the right of the machine in the cabinet makes me think that it doesn't fit properly so the cabinet is probably for a full sized machine and the 15 will fit fine.

Belfrybat 11-22-2012 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5673666)
That is a 66 machine. If you look to the tight of the machine bed you can see where the cabinet cut-out continues. If the machine you are getting is a full size machine it will fit right in that cabinet/desk. Those desks are wonderful if you get it for a good price. They are solid wood. They were introduced in the early 60's to be sold with the 400 and 500 series machines. The black machines are a smidge shorter in the bed so you will have a gap like the one shown in the pictures. The hinge pins will line up okay. Are you getting a class 15 machine with the verticle bobbin or are you getting a 99 that uses a drop in bobbin? There is no 15-99 machine

I mistyped -- the machine I am getting is a 15-91 with the vertical bobbin. The advertised price for the above machine and cabinet is $75.00, which seems like a decent price if the cabinet is in good condition. I really am only interested in the cabinet, although if I get it, I'll probably keep the machine if it runs.

J Miller 11-22-2012 03:40 PM

Contact the seller and get the serial number. The model can be positively determined that way.

It's a 99 ..... :D ..... a little birdy told me .... :)

Joe

Mizkaki 11-22-2012 04:31 PM

If the machine in this cabinet is a 3/4 you can not put a full size machine in it. The spacing of the hinge pin on the full size machines is different than on the 3/4 size. The are not interchangeable.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5673666)

amyjo 11-23-2012 07:51 AM

I really like that cabinet. Machine looks like a 3/4 size. should entirely fill the hole if it is meant for a big machine. don't think your pins will line up right for a big one.

MimiBug123 11-23-2012 09:27 AM

I would get it for the cabinet alone. If the machine fits, fine if not, your other one will. Either way it's a great cabinet desk!