Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What model is this Singer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-model-singer-t256809.html)

Champanier 11-14-2014 06:26 PM

What model is this Singer?

4 Attachment(s)
DH went to see a Singer for sale and took photos, but I don't know what it is. I would have said it was a 66, but it has the knob I've never seen on the base. Does anyone recognize it? He said there is definitely no serial number on the front right of the base - I thought it was covered. I wonder if it was some kind of special order for a company. The arrow by the knob is on the machine, not added. [ATTACH=CONFIG]498834[/ATTACH]Just curious...[ATTACH=CONFIG]498828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498830[/ATTACH]

mlmack 11-14-2014 06:52 PM

Model 101. That knob is the stitch regulator.

Rodney 11-14-2014 09:14 PM

What Mark said. My first vintage machine, now my daughter's. They're an interesting design. Singer's first potted motor design and they use a full rotary hook mechanism. They use class 66 bobbins and 15x1 needles.
Rodney

Mrs. SewNSew 11-14-2014 09:19 PM

Yep, a 101. The first of the potted motors I believe.

Champanier 11-15-2014 12:14 AM

Thanks, everyone! It's very cool - I like the sleekness. Found out it's not the one being sold. That's okay - I have my hands full with the 201. My husband fixed the totally non-functional foot controller and now it works great. The 201 is oiled and I can turn the handwheel with one finger. It's very quiet for a while and then lets out a squawk. I've missed oiling something, but I can't figure out what or exactly where the sound is coming from. It may just need to sit overnight. But I'm falling in love with this machine.

miriam 11-15-2014 01:26 AM

There is one at the Goodwill on N Keystone in Indianapolis - cheap. Nice condition and nice cabinet... I'm over run with stuff right now. Well at least on Friday it was there.

purplefiend 11-22-2014 12:14 AM

Champanier/Linda,
I have a 1936 201K hand crank/treadle machine. My machine is nearly silent when I'm using it as a treadle. Did you get all of the underneath parts when you oiled? There's 2 places in the bobbin case that need oiling. Did the motor get greased? Do you have a manual?
Sharon in Texas

Champanier 11-22-2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 6978928)
Champanier/Linda,
I have a 1936 201K hand crank/treadle machine. My machine is nearly silent when I'm using it as a treadle. Did you get all of the underneath parts when you oiled? There's 2 places in the bobbin case that need oiling. Did the motor get greased? Do you have a manual?
Sharon in Texas

Thanks, Sharon! Yes, I have a manual, but I had missed the bobbin case (thought I had to remove it to oil) and I think that's where the squeak was. I did grease the motor, but I'm workung up to taking it apart for a thorough cleaning and checkup. It's very quiet now. I really like it a lot. I'd love to see one treadle!

jmabby 11-23-2014 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Champanier (Post 6980285)
Thanks, Sharon! Yes, I have a manual, but I had missed the bobbin case (thought I had to remove it to oil) and I think that's where the squeak was. I did grease the motor, but I'm workung up to taking it apart for a thorough cleaning and checkup. It's very quiet now. I really like it a lot. I'd love to see one treadle!

I'm so jealous, I've been wanting a 201 for quite some time. Someday "my sewing machine shall come in".